Link me to some interesting baseball plays

Inspired by the link of the replacement runner completing a home run.

Each MLB website has a video archive of good plays. I’m looking for links of the unusual or extra-ordinary. Triple plays. 3 men on third base. 8 run comeback rallies. Off the wall plays with complicated umpire rulings. Stuff like that.

I’ve got Kerry Wood’s 20 strikeout game on tape and watch it now and again just to rewatch a pitching performance the likes of which I’ll probably never see again.

I’m a huge baseball fan and love to watch plays of the “I’ve never seen *that * before” variety.

Wasn’t there an AL game a couple of years back where one team scored 10+ runs to come back and win?

Stuff like that. I’d love to have a highlight reel evening.

The Pine Tar game.

The only game of which I am aware which included a game-winning home run and a game-losing home run, both hit by the same player on the same play. It is also the only game of which I am aware in which a signed affadavit came into play.

And George Brett throws a rocking temper tantrum.

MLB sites suck because they won’t let “their” video be posted elsewhere, and you can’t link directly to them. Go to the Red Sox page and find the video of Jacoby Ellbury scoring from second on a wild pitch. That dude can fly. July 2nd.

One of my all-time favorites is the play by Ichiro Suzuki about a week into his first season in the US, where he throws out Terence Long at third by ten feet. The third baseman didn’t have to move his glove an inch.

How about 4 strikeouts in an inning as done by Brad Lidge on June 13th.

SSG Schwartz

No kidding. Not to hijack, but sometime in February I was home sick from work and jonesing for some baseball, so I plopped down the $3 or so to get access to MLB’s video archives. Didn’t work at all. No error message, no email, no nothing. To this day I have no idea what went wrong. Plus the whole site just sucks. At least they’re not still using RealPlayer.

Another favorite of mine. PETA people will hate me for this, but Randy Johnson beans a bird.
Wins my vote for most unusual play in baseball.

SSG Schwartz

ETA: does anyone know if that was called a ball, strike, or dead ball?

Here is an unassisted triple play from earlier this year, one of only 13 in MLB history.

I’d heard about this but never got to see the replay. Freakin’ awesome.

Which reminds me of the greatest throw of all time, courtesy of Jose Guillen.

Great stuff here. Thanks!

One of my favorite play-by-play calls of all time, courtesy of Jon Miller.

The Indians hitting a homer off Jose Canseco’s head is one of my faves.

Great thread! I showed my wife the videos of Guillen and Matsui making those throws, and even though she’s not remotely a baseball fan, her jaw dropped when she saw them.

My entry: Joe Niekro pretending he doesn’t have an emery board in his pocket. (Unfortunately, the video is of extremely poor quality.)

That was a great call. It took me a while to figure out how to play a .aiff file :dubious: , but it was worth it. “The worst baserunning in the history of major league baseball!” LOL; maybe not, but surely a big boner there.

I also liked the R. Johnson pitch hitting that bird. Talk about disintegration!

I can’t find the video, maybe someone else can track it down. In the 1991 World Series, game 7, 8th inning, the Twins pulled off a fake double play that prevented a run from scoring. The Twins went on to win the World Series 1-0 in the 10th inning.

I believe you’re speaking of the 2001 game between the Mariners and Indians known as The Impossible Return, in which the Indians erased a 12-run deficit to come back and win the game in extra innings. I believe the score was 14-2 in the 7th inning when the comeback began. As a lifelong M’s fan, this was really hard to watch.

I don’t know of a link to watch this game, but ESPN Classic replays it from time to time. It’s definitely one to watch.

Yes! That’s the one I was thinking of. I used the MLB site to replay it a day or two after the game, but I don’t know how to get an archived version at this point.

Replying to my own post to mention that because of the 10 or 11 people who have watched the Ichiro video from this link, it has now been removed due to “copyright claims”. MLB management sucks, and doesn’t understand this internet thingy.

On the contrary, I think they understand it completely and are working to enforce their property. They charge good money to see those videos and are making a pretty good income as a result.

The team archives go back to 2004, so I occasionally rewatch the Red Sox win the World Series. :slight_smile:

since youtube has to take down MLB videos, I guess you can watch this recreation of the game 6 1986 Mets/RedSox worldseries: