Listing different things that are right (or left) handed

Just a minute here!

Hasn’t Ned Flanders still got that store that caters for lefties…The Leftorium" I think

I’m a left handed poker dealer which introduces all sorts of oddness to the game. All of which I could probably overcome if I gave a rats ass. My cards fan backwards, the window card on the flop is shown to the right side of the table instead of the left, I pull chips out of the well from the inner stack, or try to correct and have uneven stacks. I’m more likely to flip up a card to seat 7 than any other seat.

Coffee mugs that only have the printing on the side you can see if you hold it right handed.
Measuring cups and key locks and screws and lightbulbs all confuse me.

Remember guys, when teaching a lefty, it is a mirror image what we do. They can sit and watch you and make the same hands do the same things.

Remote controls favor righties, even my beloved TiVo.

Since I write like a normal person even though I’m a lefty, I don’t have the ink smudging problem, but yes, finding the nibs for lefties is a pain.

My kitchen aid mixer is alas, a rightie.

Most swipe terminals are abysmally rightie.

My daughters bangy keyboard is righty, the cord is too short to hold the handle with the left hand and bang. She’s 15 months old and knows mommy looks like a dork doing it.

DEATH TO BANK PENS!

I’m thinking of doors that are “push” on one side and “pull” on the other. The handle to pull the door open is on the left, making it easier for right-handed people to reach out and pull the door open. On the inside, all you have to do is push to get out. Not exactly a hardship for right-handed people.

Oh, her speak and spell is a rightie too.

You have to hold it with your left and pull down the lever with your right. Or, do what I do, hold it in my right and reach across and clumsily pull down a lever designed to be easy for a CHILD to do.

Lefties: Do you want your kids to be lefties too? I look for any sign my daughter might be a lefty.

Must. Fight. For. Daughter!

I have one righty kid and one lefty. I didn’t have any strong preference. My son had more trouble learning to use scissors than his sister did, but he seems to have figured it out. He also writes and draws better than many of his right-handed classmates.

I find that knitting right-handed isn’t really difficult–other than bringing the yarn over you use both hands pretty much equally. I’ve never tried crocheting, though. I expect that would be a bit more complicated.

But this is the same way that I, as a righty, open twist-off bottle tops as well. To close a screw top bottle I switch hands to twist the other way. I think that it is easier to twist your hands “in” than “out” regardless of handedness.

I think that Gary T has his pants example backwards. Every pair of slacks that I have owned with one back pocket has had the pocket on the right, as it is easier to undo the button and extricate the wallet with the right hand.

Some of these conveniences for righties seem to be more perception than reality. Right-handed doors? And thank god I don’t have to turn my measuring cup around before pouring.

I am glad that at least one lefty recognizes lefties as abnormal. :wink:

Seriously though, my brother is left-handed and a lawyer and the rest of the family will speak to him on occasion.

Says the right-handed person. :rolleyes: Try doing everything left-handed for a day and see how you like it.

There were “left handed” desks at my school for people who were left handed, that had the chairs attached, so someone at least was thinking in that instance.

Cor, all you lefties - moan, moan, moan.

But you get all the best Neutrinos

I believe I am in a position to address your comment. I am ambidexterous. It’s very convenient and I consider it to be a great genetic fortune. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome that has affected my right hand more than the left. For periods of time I have to wear a brace that renders my right hand useless. Navigating the world with strictly my left, although I have the coordination to do so, is difficult because the world truly is designed for righties. Seriously, just try and find left handed golf clubs. It can be done but it’s not as easy as just strolling through Dick’s Sporting goods finding what you want. You may have to special order it if you want a specific brand and model. I only use the cheap Papermate pens at work so I can just switch between hands because any other pen will skip on the paper when I use my left hand.
I don’t know how those of you who are strictly lefties do it. My cousin, who’s a lefty eventually trained himself to use his right hand for certain things just to avoid the difficulties. This took years, however.

I’m a lefty and a knitter, and the only knitting things I do left-handed are casting on (mirror image of my righty mother-in-law, who taught me) and picking up stitches. Otherwise, I do everything the same as you oppressive righties. :wink:

Oh, and I have a hard time using a mouse on the left! I know a couple of lefties who do, but most of us don’t necessarily see it as a handedness issue – like driving, it’s just the standard setup.

I think it’s interesting that handedness is something of a continuum: some people can’t do anything with their non-dominant hand, some people are completely ambidextrous, and a lot of people are somewhere in between. Because of the way our world is set up, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of lefties are closer to the ambidextrous range.

I didn’t mean to imply that they all were trivial, but I have never been flummoxed by having to open a door with my left hand.

I’m fortunate enough to be quite ambidexterous myself. I was strictly left-handed as a young child until I slammed my left thumb in the tractor cab door. I walked around with that thumb straight up in the air for weeks. :slight_smile: So there are some things I do right-handed, such as eat, that make life much more convenient for me. No being relegated to the left table corner so no one has to rub-elbows with me! I’m with you on the golf clubs thing. I throw right but bat and golf left. Strange, I know.

I’m left handed and I’ve done lots of calligraphy. I just have to do it Rather. Slowly. and let the ink dry before proceeding. I was always looking for ink that would dry quickly.

A quick suggestion from a lefty who both knits and crochets: Try learning to knit continental and teach her that way. I could never get my tension right using english (right-handed), but continental works really well for me.

As for crocheting, you might want to try to find a lefty to teach her. Seriously. I learned from a book (and lots of trial and error). Before that, I tried to learn from a righty and was absolutely flummoxed and turned off from crocheting for years. On the other side of it, I tried to teach my righty sister to crochet, and it was a complete failure too.

Sometimes I’d give my right hand to be ambidextrous.
What?

You crochet?

That is so wrong.

:stuck_out_tongue:

There are so many things I’ve had just a tiny bit of trouble using, and never could figure out why! The way businesses have one door locked and one unlocked? So often when I leave a store, I try to open the wrong door. It’s never dawned on my why I’ve had trouble with twist-top bottle caps, measuring cups, potato peelers…
I hate scissors that are ambidextrous, but are made so that if the hinge loosens, the tension is still held by a right handed user.
My favorite left-handed story is when I realized that it was problematic that pistols discharge to the right… damn brass in my cleavage…