Little Things You Hope JK Rowling Will Clear Up In Book 7

The only Lestrange I’ve ever met pronounced it “le STRAINGE.”

Not so much a loose end, but something I’ve wondered: When Mad-Eye Moony looked at the boggart in the upstairs chest, what did he see? The boggart wouldn’t have known it was being looked at, so it wouldn’t have turned into Moony’s worst fear–and they say no one knows what a boggart looks like in its natural state.

I was pronouncing Lestrange with a long A sound as in strange, but once you pointed it out, I realized it does make sense for it to be the aw sound because it’s probably a French name.

Similarly, until she cleared it up a friend of mine was sure Hermione was pronounced, Ehr-mee-own, which is the French pronounciation. She had a friend with that name when she lived in France.

I am hoping they take this in a total “Hot Shots” direction with the revelation that when Voldy murdered Lily he made a Horcrux (plot device in HBP) out of her eyes because he liked them and due to unforeseen circumstances he left them behind. When Harry is left at the Dursley’s it is just him, a note concerning him and a box containing Lily’s eyes. So when characters tell him he “has Lily’s eyes” they are leading him to a very important clue about defeating Voldy.

A toad that’s lived for six years, though! I’d be suspicious that Trevor’s an animagus too.

Now that you mention it, that does seem odd. Especially given what eventually happened with Scabbers.

While we’re on the subject of unusual pets, I wonder if Mrs. Norris (Filtch’s cat) is more than she seems to be. Filtch seems to have an unually strong connection to her. Lastly, when was the last time that Errol (the Weasely family owl) appeared? It seems like it’s been a couple of books now, and given that Errol was really old I’m wondering if he died.

I wonder if Nicholas Flamel has died yet, if not, will he make an appearance in #7.

From Jo’s Website:

I haven’t seen this mentioned, my apologies if it was.

The Ministry knows if an underage wizard is doing magic outside of Hogwarts unless they do magic in the home of a wizard, in which case they really can’t tell who performed the spell. I understand that Riddle wouldn’t be busted by doing magic in the Gaunt house since there was a wizard there. But, why wasn’t he in trouble for doing magic when he killed the three Riddles? Was is purely because he was using a different wand? Or is it possible that one of them (his Father or Grandparents), might actually have been magical?

It was Mad Eye Moody. Moony was the nickname for Lupin whose boggart was a moon.

He was in trouble. The ministry knew instantly that magic was performed in the Riddle house, a Muggle house. They dispatched someone to the house. They didn’t know who performed the spell – as Dumbledore said, they can’t tell that.

Probably while theMinistry was at the Riddle home, Tom snuck into his uncle’s house, returned the wand, and planted the false memory. While the Ministry was looking for suspects, Riddle was probably back at the Gaunt home, planting the wand and the ministry. Then he likely walked away (though he may have been skilled enough to apparate away in the wizard home of the Gaunts).

The Ministry comes to find Morfin and his wand – check the wand with Priori Incantatem – and Morfin confessing. No one looks deeper into the matter.

Thanks Hamish. I must have missed something. I think a second reading is in order.

I’d like to know what grown-up wizards spend their time doing, if they don’t work for the Ministry of Magic. Aside from a few shopkeepers, and the staff at Mungo’s hospital and the wizarding newspaper(s), I don’t see many occupations outside the Ministry.

There are a number of implicit occupations, and a few explicit ones. I picture wizarding folk mostly engaged in various cottage industries and agricultural pursuits. Someone has to make all the goods (many of them enchanted) that are sold in the shops. Fred and George make their own stock, but obviously the staff of Flourish and Blotts doesn’t write all of the books they sell (although they may produce the stationery). Others will raise/harvest/hunt the esoteric plants and creatures required for making potions (I believe Ludo Bagman had a bet with a witch who put up a half-share in her eel farm, for example). Others have professional roles, like the Healers–I suppose Bill’s job as a cursebreaker for Gringott’s might fall in this category. Finally, someone presumably grows the food, or has an arrangement that facilitates trading with muggles for it.

Fairly minor point I’d like to see resolved: How do things work out between Hagrid and Olympe? Hogwarts is the only home he’s known for most of his life, and she’s headmistress of a school in France. I can’t see him leaving unless something drastic happens to the school itself. I suppose she can apparate, and therefore commuting could be an option.

Just a disturbing thought I had while reading the latest book.
It is shown that through the polyjuice a character can completely change their appearence even to the extent of changing sex. What would happen if a male character polymorphed into a female got pregnant and kept taking the juice but say 8 months in stopped taking it?

I imagine the outcome couldn’t be good…

I know…I know…my mind is broken and wrong.

The scary part is that I’m sure someone, somewhere, has written a fanfic with this premise.

Urgh.

I’d like to see more of Tonks. She seems very cute.

Many cats,Crookshanks, Mrs Figg’s cats, and probably Mrs. Norris, in the Potterverse are part Kneezle (from Magiocal creatures and Where to Find Them), Rowling hints at this on her website (I belive she has confirmed Crookshanks), and it has be discussed on the fansites. Kneezle crossbreeds are indeed more intellegent than regular cats.

I thought she’d confirmed Mrs. Norris, but only hinted at Crookshanks?

I’m fairly sure its the other way round.