Little things you remember, now consigned to the past

That’s exactly what I came here to say! All our school newsletters used to be with that and I remember sitting sniffing the paper!

Pot-bellied pro rasslers who were juiced up on fats and carbohydrates instead of steroids.

On those rotary dialed phones, you always hated to dial a “9” because either your finger would fall out of the hole halfway around and you have to start dialing all over, or because it took so long to unwind back to the start.

zhhhweet… chu chu chu chu chu chu chu chu chu

Milk man (mentioned above).

We also had a Bakery Man, who had fresh apple turnovers.

Radium-painted hands on your watch, that glowed in the dark after being subjected to a flashlight.

Mail being deleivered twice a day during the holidays.

A scoop of ice cream was a nickel.

Cigarettes out of a vending machine for 50 cents a pack.

The guy at the gas station would fix your flat tire for free.

Guys wearing a suit, tie and hat at the ballpark.

• That little switchbox used on first generation video game systems that you had to hook up to the UHF antenna connection and slide to choose “game” or “tv”.

-That soft off-white paper with the faded blue solid and dashed lines used to practice penmanship on in gradeschool.

-cash register endcaps loaded down with 35mm film rolls.

-bananna seats on kids bikes.

-A&W rootbeer that could be bought in a gallon jug from the restaurant to take home.

-Slush Puppies. (Kmarts version of the slurpee)

-Paperboys who came around to “collect”.

Yeah, but I think Slushpuppies were made with Apple juice which made them SO much better.

"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun!

Bread in cellophane or plastic bags whose ends were sealed flat against the end of the loaf by a square paper label instead of being secured by a bread tag.

The same thing happened to me in kindergarten or first grade (this would have been in the very early 80s)- I wasn’t feeling well, and tried to use the school office phone to call my mom. But it was a rotary phone, which I had never used before. I had to ask the secretary how to do it, and she laughed at me.

When I was a kid, the Wanamaker’s downtown had a really cool little train that you could ride in that circled the ceiling of the toy department. I haven’t been back to Philadelphia in a long, long time and for all I know there isn’t even a Wanamaker’s anymore. In fact, there may not be a Wanamaker’s anywhere anymore.

*Googles

Nope, there isn’t. :frowning:

I have a typewriter on my desk, but it’s a IBM Selectric II where the typing element moves. I remember manual typewriters where the carriage moved. And heaven help you if you put a full coffee cup too close to the carriage.

The house I just bought has a rotary telephone in the basement, still plugged in and working. It sure takes forever to call someone now that we have to use 10-digit dialing.

I found a Little People person in the attic. It’s from a long time ago when they were made of wood. They all had the same basic shape, but the faces were different. This one was a baby with a little curlycue on top.

It circled the ceiling? That would be cool!

I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High with my son not long ago; he was completely baffled during the scene in Mr. Hand’s class on the first day of school, when all the characters simultaneously raise their papers to their faces and inhale deeply. Photocopies are easier to read, but there’s nothing like the smell of mimeographs. It’s the smell of purple.

I can remember when the local grocery store had ashtrays at the end of each aisle. Also my Peter Pan peanut butter came in glass jars, which my mother would re-use when she made jelly.

I remember the little “selector” that you’d leave out for the milk man. Had all the different products on tabs and you rotated out the ones with the products you wanted. Like a set of cardboard feeler gauges with a dairy product on each one.

I still have a rotary phone and ice tongs and a butter churn and a barrel of telephone insulators (and a thousand other old gizmos).

sex with another person

Young’un checking in here (age 20). My junior high school still used those! I never realized that they were not designed to have type upon them, but rather to provide delicious smells. (At least I assume that we’re talking about the same thing. What I’m thinking about, I never saw the machine, but it produced low quality copies with purple ink?)

Going to Macy’s or any other department store, and hearing those odd “bing - bing - bing” tones every now and then. I think they were some kind of early paging system, since the tones would get repeated 2 or 3 times every time, but also differ in pattern between invocations.

It had a fairly distinct tone quality – it wasn’t a bell, it wasn’t a dial tone, it was… the department store “bing”.

It’s been many years since I’ve heard it.

While I’m sure these are still around, your post reminded me of something I personally haven’t seen in years - those wire chalk holders used to draw parallel lines on the blackboard. Teachers would put two or three pieces in at one to draw those same lines to teach penmanship, and I was flabbergasted in junior high when the music teacher put chalk in ALL FIVE holders to make a musical staff!

Grocery store baggers that knew how to bag things well. You could set the bag down, cut it away, and the contents stayed in place.

Kids as TV remotes.
Kids as garage door opener.
Garbage men that collected the garbage at the house, not at the street.

Toy spaceships that actually shot real “laser pellets.”

Coca-Cola made with sugar, in bottles.

The little blue dice that came with the D&D basic box set.

A tape drive for the VIC-20.

Floppy disks the size of a waffle iron.

Dialing up a BBS on the phone, waiting for the handshake signal, and plugging it quickly into the jack of a 1200-baud modem.

A real Avon lady who came to our house with a sample case and showed my Mom all the latest products.

Likewise a doctor who visited us with an actual black bag full of doctor stuff.