Little things you remember, now consigned to the past

The increase in the price of a snickers bar from a nickel to a dime collapsed the neighborhood economy that was only later offset by the increase in pop bottle deposit rates from two cents to a nickel.

I remember them.

Cecil on shoe store fluoroscopes. http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_414a.html

Computer stuff really doesn’t count though…you remember way back when people were all up in arms over Apple’s first phone? Me neither. :smiley:

I have a TI-99/4a and the Texas Instrument branded tape drive (a GE cassette recorder with a TI sticker on it)

I remember getting a 2400 baud modem and, get this, re-flashing it to support 4800 baud! It was sold as a 4800 baud modem for the incredibly cheap price of $78, with a update you had to run.

Sadly, it now occurs to me that I don’t think we have a TV I can hook the TI 99/4a up to. :frowning:

Exactly what I came in to mention.

Phonograph Needles, sold for about $1 to $5, at the electronics counter

View Master reels available at most tourist sites (I still have mine of Mt. Vernon, Gettysburg, etc.- today they only seem to sell cartoons and movie themed reels)

Best of the West action figures

Chicken Tonight (really good instant chicken-sauce dishes, with a catchy dance craze tied in!)

b/w TV sets with coathanger antennae in the back bedroom

Radios that had tubes. TV sets that had tubes. And horizontal and vertical hold knobs. Whacking the #$%^ TV when neither of those knobs would work.

Tube testing machines at the local drugstore - and my father bringing in a wooden mandarin orange box (remember those - back when “mandarin” oranges had a less politically-correct name?) full of tubes to check.

Library cards that were actual cardboard pieces of card with your name on them, that slipped into a pocket card with the name of the book and went into a (wooden) slot with the return due date on it - no scanning involved.

Lettering books, with all kinds of fancy alphabets and instructions on how to draw them (or trace them). I don’t know if these still exist, but I imagine the wide selection of fonts available to all has diminished their usefulness.

Ice cream containers that had no anti-tamper safety-seal devices on them. Anyone could have opened your ice cream before you bought it and you’d never know! -shock-

Those neat little metal film canisters that 35mm film came in. Pretty soon nobody’ll even remember the plastic ones, when all cameras are incorporated into phones.

OH! Remember the ca-THUNK machine? They’d take the card out of the book pocket and put it in the ca-THUNK machine (which, I suppose now that I look back stamped our library card number on it so they’d know who had the book, but I never gave it a thought back then) and then switched the card for the date card. I always wished I could get the ca-THUNKed card, but the mean librarian kept those all for herself.

The sewing store also had a ca-THUNK machine, only that one had a little dial and a spinny thing that measured the fabric as the cutter pulled it through, and the ca-THUNK was cutting a little slice at the edge so the cutters would know where to cut. Only one of the stores had the ca-THUNK machine; the other store had the cutters measure by hand and I was always disappointed when Mom went to that one.

I saw a bumber sticker with one of these on it today:

Link

Wondered how many kids would even know what it was.

Then there’s my first cable TV “remote control” - a box connected with a wire, with 20 buttons, and a wheel you used to fine tune the channel.

And Charles Chips. They’d come to your house to give you potato chips! We liked them so much better than the milkman.

How about when TV Guide (brand) carried program information, for channels 2-13 and the few UHF stations you could get (or before UHF). They cost a dime. I delivered them for a couple of years, when they were 15 cents. When the price went up to a quarter, I lost most of my customers.

Almost any response to this thread moves one closer to oldfogeyism, so I gracefully decline to respond.

OK, young’n here and I’m stumped. I’m no doctor, but what is there that a doctor can pick up and take across town with him? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a doctor, but…I guess they could carry a stethoscope, and I guess a flashlight to look at someone’s throat? What if, say, you needed a throat swab to check for strep throat - would they just do it there and toss the q-tip in the garbage in your house? This makes no sense to me.

Also - at my current job a lot of labels need to be typed up on a typewriter. On my first day I sheepishly had to ask my boss how to use this insane contraption, as I’d never seen an electric typewriter before. I still have no idea how it ‘erases’ - the best I can think is tiny, invisible magical pixies.

ETA - man, external modems. I remember the first time I got online with an external 28.8 modem hooked up to a Gateway 486. I don’t know of anyone who has one anymore.

When you had to choose between regular and unlead.
The 55 mph and 55cent diesel
Payday would be a short day so you could cash your paycheck
“You should now switch you FM converter to XX on your FM dial to listen to this station”
Whip Inflation Now

Just a few off the top of my head.

SSG Schwartz

He (always a he) would have a stethoscope, thermometer, that knee hammer, and maybe some meds. If you were in bad enough shape to need more than that, you would be sent to the hospital IIRC.

SSG Schwartz

Hell, I’m proud to be an oldfogey! Now, get off my grass!

…Filled with the coldest water on the planet! The bottles were submerged about 3", so you had to reach into that icy water. It felt wonderful on a hot day, after riding your bike to the little store 5 miles from the house, the closest business of any kind.

??? We ate at one of those three days ago! It’s called Bugermaster. They don’t wear roller skates any more, though. :frowning:

You forgot the style in between. The black one that looked like the dial phone, but without a dial. Just the little paper tag in the center with your number and your ring set.
Oh, yeah, that ring set for your party line. We had 5 people on our party line. Our ring was two long and one short. My grandmother used to listen in on her best friend’s calls. The best way to do that was to unscrew the mouth piece and take out the microphone. It wasn’t hard wired in, it use used a contact point.

Before cable and dollar movie theaters, when a movie stopped showing at the local theaters, that was it. Until the first time one of the networks showed it, which was always a huge deal, advertised for weeks and scheduled around.

Theaters that only had one screen.

Going to the drive-in, where there was a playground for the little kids to play in until the movie was about to start.

All of the Christmas specials (and the Charlie Brown Halloween special) showing exactly once during the holiday season.

Being amazed that a ten meg hard drive fit in a device the size of a cigarette carton.

Kodak Instamatic cameras with 126 cartridge film. Flashcubes (battery-driven) or MagiCubes (popped as a consequence of impact). You’d have 4 flashes per cube, then you had to change for a new cube.

Creepy Crawlers. This hot metal sunken plate into which you’d drop the metal molds after filling them with PlastiGoop™, which would cook and harden to the consistency of rubber.

Incredible Edibles. Same deal except you could eat them. More fun than the EZ-Bake Oven :slight_smile:

SweeTTarts, huge freaking SweeTTarts the size of your computer’s mouse. Not soft-n-chewy, hard-n-abrasive, just like the little ones. 15 minutes of working on one and the skin on your tongue and on the roof of your mouth would come off.

We had a 1st-generation VCR. Top-loader, the thing had to be on a shelf with enoug overhead vertical clearance to let its works pop up. The remote was on the end of a 30’ cord.

Reel to reel 3.5 IPS tape recorders. Threading the tape through the head and tucking the little lead end into the )><( widget on the takeup reel.

Which reminds me: Bell & Howell movie projectors, in school. Green. Same deal – thread the videotape along little offsets and pathways and through the area where the bulb shines, and eventually onto the takeup reel.

I work at Wal-Mart, and I sold one of these last week! We for some reason have external 56k modems and 3.5" floppy drives in the store! (they’re on clearance, if you can imagine.)

Gas stations that were strung from one end to another with inflated inflatables - dinosaurs, clowns, whatever. I think they were premiums - so much gas and you got one free or something, but since there were four of us kids, Dad never got one and they were history before I realized they weren’t just a nifty way to decorate a gas station. “Put a tiger in your tank!” I remember Dad telling the attendant “five bucks please” and wondering, while the guy stuck the pump into the car (the gas cap was under the license plate) and washed the windows and checked the oil, when he was going to give Dad the five bucks he’d asked for.

Coupons in cigarette packs… L&Ms, I think? An early version of Marlboro Miles, I suppose. Redeemable like S&H Green stamps - there was a little catalogue of household-y stuff you could order. I remember Gramma got a spinner thing full of poker chips.

Space food sticks.

Not to brag, but the A&W restaurant in my town still sells it that way if you ask. It’s always better in the gallon jug straight from the store.

To get back on topic: I remember when grocery stores had real butchers. You know, the guys who actually cut the meat instead of just off loading prepackaged stuff off a truck and rewrapping it.