Living in a trance...

Inspired by the thread by **boo_boo_bear ** If you only had six months to live… I wanted to start this thread. It’s not quite the same question as **boo_boo_bear ** but similar enough to warrant the reference. I was wondering how many people walk life in somewhat of a trance until something in the realm of a terminal illness, etc. wakes them to awaiting possibilities of adventure. The other day when listening to Rent , I began to feel this overwhelming sense of gratitude that I have neither a terminal illness nor any sort of ailment and yet felt compelled to enjoy my moments “today.” To feel this sense of abundant openness without the impending doom of demise leaves me feeling even more fortunate.

This thread is really a two part inquiry. How many of you feel that you often perform routine activities of life in somewhat of a trance (however, in being in this trance I wonder if it’s even possible to note that you are there…because it seems highly unlikely to gain this perspective unless it’s through a sort of retrospection)? Secondly, given the idea of enjoying “today,” what sorts of things would you be doing now and/or what sorts of things would you add to a list to accomplish in the next six months?

Cripes. I reckon that’s natural. Self preservation… or something.

We hop into our cars… and drive off to work… not thinking about how we are in control of this huge vehicle and what dammage it can make, just so we can remain sane.

Some people think any bad new is just horrible… but I think bad news is just a reminder to us to appreciate the good news all the more.

Sure, we get into trances, some of us focussing on the past or dreaming about the future.

there is some cliche about ‘the present’ that would work nicely right now… but I can’t remember it.

I’m not referring to the natural trance you get while driving when you’re sometimes on autopilot. This, of course, happens to everyone. I’m talking more along the lines of the type of trance when you lack that feeling of a certain mindfulness. Perhaps this feeling is difficult to articulate unless you’ve actually experienced it. Anyone out there know what I’m talking about?

The alternative to this trance is a feeling of abundance…a feeling that although you live within a house of walls, no walls really exist. You feel that life is full of adventure, full of things you have not yet experienced, and full of choices that you have not yet made…freedom. Until I felt this way, I didn’t see the former trance. Now I see the trance in others and those I see in that trance tend to have a similar viewpoint in life; they seem to exist in a life that is full of limitations. Personally, in the recent months I went from a life of scarcity and passivity to a life of abundance with a proactive attitude and find it interesting to see those in my former way of thinking. Now I know the difference. If you are celebrating life and all that you have you are most certainly living a life of abundance but if you feel your life is limiting and that there are walls around you and you are remaining passive then you are living a life of scarcity. I also think that of all the leaps in life I will make not all of them will lead to a life of abundance but that the leap itself is abundance because I know inside that I always have that freedom to choose. Does that make sense?

With this newfound insight I guess I’m just wondering how many others have gone through a similar transformation without something so life-changing as a terminal illness, etc. and wonder what types of lists others have made for themselves once they view life in a new way.

I’m reminded of a quote by Mark Twain, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Commas would help it make sense.
congrats on your new philosophy.