Living on a Cruise Ship

So I was randomly cycling youtube videos, and one about the vessel The World [ um, a cruise ship of purchased apartments done condo style] and I was wondering if one could buy one’s own starlink and provide ones own internet rather than purchasing their internet package?

Back when mrAru and I did a couple cruises, we ran into a couple that were retired and actually lived on one of the classic type vacation cruise lines - they said it was actually economical for them, they wold do 3 or 4 back to back 2 week cruises, then do a week on shore doing shore based stuff [medical dental appointments, sorting mail or other legal sort of issues]

Depends on the purchase or lease contract. That can stipulate all kinds of things you’re not allowed to do, for a variety of reasons (or shallow pretexts convering up deeper unterior motives).

I don’t know about that particular ship, but if you’re wondering about cruise lines in general, the answer seems to be no.

I think the Starlink terminal requires line of sight to the satellites and I doubt you’re going to get that from any passenger cabin (unless you can stick the terminal out the porthole). IOW, I very much doubt it will work for practical, not policy, reasons.

Semi-recent thread based on various startups starting with the now-infamous “Life at Sea” idea:

( didn’t go well )

But might have some additional, useful information.

Not vacation cruise ships, the ‘condo’ The World vessel.

Hadn’t seen that doc =) Interesting

I actually have health issues so the idea is not something I would do, though I would love to spend the 3 to 4 months for one of the luxury cruises on a Cunard ship