Living with a pronounced limp

I’m having a wart removed from the ball of my foot and the limping is driving me crazy. I’m walking on the side of my foot, my legs and hips hurt, everything I’m doing is slow. It’s just temporary tho, I’ll power through.

It’s making me think of some kids I went to school with who had a pronounced limp. One leg was permanently bent and they walked like I am walking now. But for their whole lives. It looks positively painful. Neither of the kids ever used a cane that I remember. One of them still lives near me and she’s about to be 40 and still walks the same way, without assistance.

But surely it can’t be painful. Is it? It can’t be the same sort of awkwardness and pain for someone living most of their lives walking like I am now, versus me walking a different way all my life and having to walk awkwardly for a week.

What happens to the rest of your body when your gait is truly “unnatural” as it were? Does your body just adapt?

Your body tends to adapt. That’s not good. Continued limping due to a problem in one leg often leads to a problem in the other leg as a result of compensation. Physical therapy, compensation devices like a thick soled shoe on one side, or even surgery when it makes sense is the answer.

I needed to have ingrown warts removed from the bottom and back of my heel. Having them was painful; once they’d been removed surgically it was just the same level of bother as a skinned knee; less bother than having a pebble in your shoe. Your phrasing doesn’t make it clear: have the warts already gone away? Because if they haven’t, maybe you’ll find yourself in the same situation I did, where removing the wart didn’t cause pain but eliminate it.
And as for the limp, I was left with one because of the two years I had the warts. It’s pronounced enough that my footsteps sound different, light enough that most people don’t realize I limp. As someone I know who’s always walked with crutches says, “what do you mean, how do I walk? I just walk!” Whether limpers use crutches or a platform shoe or neither, we just walk. We don’t think about it. For those who have conditions that can make walking painful, the gait gets adapted to be as painless as possible. I limped worse when a bad chair caused me hip pain than when I had the warts.

I had a pronounced limp for about 50% of my life from torn ligaments in my knee, once I retired and quit walking on concrete all day the limb finally went away 90% of the time anyway. The injury was from football in the 10th grade and I limped all through high school.

How did that limb return for 10% of the time?

It’s not complicated - you just end up unarmed during one leg of your journey. In fact it can be funny when you regain the upper half of that arm - well, much more humerus than without it, anyway.

A foot doctor showed me a trick to work around a temporary foot sore spot. Drugstores have an adhesive “eye pod” about 1/4 inch thick. Cut a hole in it to match your sore spot, and stick it on before putting on your socks. It’s not perfect, but at least you’ll be able to walk straighter.

Besides, you’ll get to tell your friends how you got an incredibly cheap “eye pod.”:wink:

If you do decide to use a cane, use on the side opposite your bad foot.

I’ve always heard that referred to as a “donut bandage”. Or if you mean the material it’s made of, moleskin.

Yeah, a lot of people think it’s like using crutches with your good leg on one side and the cane on the other.

I have a hip. Oy, do I have a hip! After years of ballet and assuming the ballet positions that require you to open your pelvis up and tuck your butt under. I have a hip that occasionally get angry and painful. I have to limp to walk at these times, if it lasts long enough I end up with knee pain on my good side and sometimes my lower back goes haywire. It’s maddening. So limps can cause other things to rebel.

Open fracture of tibia/ankle 20 years ago; limping ever since then. I’ve adapted. Keeping my weight down is the best way to reduce the pain.