London Dope Fest. You know you want to.

You realise, ruadh, that the penalty for lateness will be to drink your body weight in Marmite?

[Cute Micheal Jackson voice]
I’ll be there
I’ll be there
Just call my name and I’ll be there,

Just slip outta your shoulder! :slight_smile:
[/cute Micheal Jackson voice]

I’m booked in and ready to go, roll on Saturday.

I am relying on the trains though, so if you don’t see me at all, I will prolly be stuck in a little station in the middle of nowhere waiting for the train to move off.

Messiah, I wish you had mentioned that before. Too late, was the cry. Already booked a room. Nevermind :slight_smile:

Anyone fancy doing anything sunday? I will be around til about 4pm. Lingering like a bad smell :smiley:

Rick

Marmite. Hah.

I just looked at the five-day forecast and it seems the weather in London is even worse this week than it is in Dublin. I wouldn’t have thought that possible.

I too am at the mercy of Railtrack and Southwest Trains, but still plan on being there. I’ll probably arrive mid-afternoon, play tourist for a couple hours, then get to the pub around 5:00. Not having met any of you before, how will I spot you in the pub?

I shall make the pilgremage to Camden on saturday, come rain or shine (no guesses for which is most likely). I’ll be there about 6.00 (some of us have to work you know). You will recognise me by the fact that all the women will turn when I enter the pub (turn lesbian that is). Look forward to meeting you all.

Owing to some leftover work today I will probably make it a bit later than I thought, around 4pm-ish. I would post a link to a pic for people to identify, but I don’t have a scanner or anything. Nearer the time I’ll try to decide what to wear and post that.

Who you going to post them to, matt ? And why ?

Put off posting because I just don’t know if I can make it. Weekends are the only bloody time I’m busy at the moment. If I don’t, it really is friggin annoying and I will not miss the next one under any damn circumstances what so bloody ever.

If anyone is interested, I will be getting into london at about 1pm so I will have a little time to kill.

Prolly head to the pub around 4pm to meet up with people. If anyone wants a photo of someone to recognise, I have a couple I could e-mail to people.

As for what I will be wearing, that is easy, blue jeans and a black leather jacket. And I have ginger hair too, so I should be relatively easy to spot.

Rick

Greetings mattk and all the others who may turn up. I’m going to make it if I can.

One or two posters have already asked: When we get to the pub, how we are supposed to recognise the ‘Dopefest’ people?

I realise this can give rise to all sorts of funny answers, as if we’re all nervous Dateline respondents ready with our Carnations and copy of The Times. But seriously folks… a Camden pub on a Saturday night when it’s cold and wet outside is going to be VERY busy. Shouldn’t we be working out some way of telling Dopers from the rest? How is this done at other Dopefests?

Please, someone be genius enough to figure out a good way to do this! Some people are thinking of coming a long way…

Well, there’s a rather outdated photo of me at Shayna’s site and a lot of more recent ones at tatertot’s site. Now what the hell did I do with those URLs?

Somebody else better provide means of identification anyway since I have no idea what time I’m getting there :slight_smile:

In lieu of any wiser suggestions…

Mattk, I don’t mean to impose any further extra organisational burden upon you! …but you obviously know the pub in question. Is it one of these with an upstairs room that we can blag off the landlord for our own exclusive use? (Elitism rools OK)

Assuming no such luck, is it possible to identify any notable features of the pub or its layout, and to aim to occupy that particular part of the pub? I mean, we’ve got a map to get TO the pub, but how about one for inside it as well? Or suggested directions of an area in which to congregate?

How do people feel about the rather risible, but nonetheless practical, notion of something easily bought or purchased which one can carry into the pub as a ‘Doper’ badge - e.g. a copy of that day’s Sun or something. I mean, I don’t read it either, but that’s not the point. It’s universally available, cheap (in every sense) and hard to mistake.

Will many of those coming be carrying mobile (cell) phones? If so, is there any merit in someone being brave enough to publish their number here, thereby providing a homing beacon if needed?

Just throwing out ideas. Okay… I’ll shut up now.

Unfortunately, none of the pubs in Camden have upstairs rooms that are free (I know this from bitter experience - £75? You must be joking mate!). The Hogshead will be busy but not rammed, so there’s no way of knowing exactly where we’ll be sitting – if at all possible I’ll grab a table by the side windows. I’m likely to be wearing a dark blue hooded top (unless Friday night turns nasty), and if I spot RickQ when I get there keep an eye out for him too.

I do have a mobile but I can only get reception in limited parts of the pub…anyone who still wants to try is welcome to email me and I’ll send the number on though.

How about just a plain sheet of paper with ‘SDMB’ written on it in large friendly letters? Either lay it on a table, or blu-tack it to a wall.

As for recognizing me, I’m male, 6 foot 5, long blondish hair, glasses, and probably carrying a blue rucksack.

Oh yeah. I might have The Guardian or a book with me on the table. But, this being Camden, I might not be the only one…

Ok, final check in before I set off tomorrow.

Anyone who wants a pic, mail me. Also, I have a mobile if people need to get in touch. I will try and get there early and hopefully see mattk.

See you all tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Rick

Just as I’m about to leave for my first dopefest, I hear Arsenal are 0-6 up away from home. As good things allways come in three’s i’m off to buy a lottery ticket.

See you all in the HogsHead