London Dope Fest. You know you want to.

I live up in the cold bitter north (j/k, just bowing to stereo types there) but I would be interested in a meeting.

I don’t know London too well so any help would be appreciated. If anyone knows of a good place to stay which is quite cheap that would also be really helpful too. It would be better if I can stay over cause of the distance involved. Any help would be most appreciated.

TTFN
Rick

Hostels are your best bet. They’re basic but will do the trick (just don’t leave valuables there!). Just look on the web - I don’t really know many by name, although there are a lot around Bloomsbury, which is within walking distance of Euston.

You know that phrase “he couldn’t organize a piss-up in a brewery?” That’s me all over…half a thousand pubs in Oxford and I’d still probably have difficulty deciding which one to go to :slight_smile:

Euston is where I met Fierra for the first time! :slight_smile:

The Hogshead in Camden sounds fine to me. I need to be up and useful on Sunday, so I’d be aiming to get the 11:30 train back (leaving the 1:00am train as a backup). I can be up there pretty much any time from noon onwards.

Hogshead . Camden. 27th Jan, time how about 5pm ?

5pm’s fine for me, although I may have a warm-up drink or two first.

Here’s a map to the place:

Very long URL

When you come off the tube and up the escalators at Camden Town, take the right-hand exit if you can (they sometimes block them off) and you’ll be on Camden High Street. Look across the road and you should see a Barclays and a Bank of Scotland (or Royal Bank, I can’t remember). You want to be over on that side of the road, at the junction with Parkway. Walk up Parkway for about two blocks (past an Odeon cinema) and the Hogshead is on the left-hand side of Parkway past an organic supermarket. It’s on the corner of Albert Street opposite another pub called the Spread Eagle.

Quick note to those heading south from Camden at the end of the night: Northern Lines trains go two ways - via Charing Cross or via Bank. If you’re going to Euston you can get any of them (they all stop there). If you’re going to Waterloo you need to look out for a Charing Cross train. (All trains stop at Camden if you’re heading north!).

If anyone is lost email me.

Excellent stuff, that’s about 15 minutes walk away from me, Sat 27th it is!

It’s about 15 minutes from me too. Where are you, Chalk Farm, Camden Town, Kentish Town, Primrose Hill or Mornington Crescent? (Or not saying - which is fair enough)

Bump!

So, from what I can see ruadh has grasped the nettle for Jan 27th in Camden and Taters is forming the Trash up in orderly fashion for mid March. Excellent ! – may the Games commence !

As for London, I’m in - I think. Hate committing myself unless I know for certain and, because things are moving apace at the moment, I can’t be absolutely sure. Really, really hoping to be there on the 27th and expect to be there.

Providing accommodation is also a problem for me since I’ve recently adopted my new, reduced circumstances ‘lifestyle’ in anticipation of a little re-educatin’ (i.e. I’ve moved to humbler surroundings in borderland suburbia) but fear not…… Recently been doing quite a lot of research on the London accommodation scene and there is a surprising variety available for the ‘conserving money for the pub’ brigade. Thought I’d relate some of what I found in the hope that it may help.
Accommodation in London

This might come in handy for Casdave and, perhaps, others.

For the budget traveller, I think this place looks particularly good: Centrally located, interesting building, seems professionally run, a wide range of options (from a dorm bed through to family rooms) and the prices are right. I’d probably plump for this one: The Generator

Another similar option (a bit further out of the centre but not much and offering similar accommodation at similar prices) is Ashlee House

Other budget alternatives include the Youth Hostel Assocciation (some hostels in London are very centrally located – like in Oxford Street). A range of options from dorm beds to family rooms are available

Or even the YMCA: General Home Page.Of particular interest might be London City or London Barbican
If Bed and Breakfast is your cup of tea, there are a lot of options. Most start at just over £20.00 for the night but quality will vary to a truly scary extent. If looking into this yourself I’d suggest cutting through the pap on search engines (the keywords are spammed to death on most engines) and, instead, concentrate on Yahoo or my beloved ODP – at least there is a degree of quality control with Directories and there’s no spam (in theory). If you are planning to deal with B & B owners direct, some degree of external quality control is important in the B & B game. So, here’s Yahoo (can’t link so, I suppose, ‘Bed and Breakfast London’ will get you to the categories) and the Open Directory Project (the top link is the best, I think) categories

Other B & B sites to mention may include: Happy Homes and At Home in London but both of these are agencies who will want a small commission (perhaps a one off payment of a fiver) for arranging the room(s)
An option with a different angle is: Fullers Boozers - hotel style accommodation above a pub at realistic prices. Look for the link to the ‘Mad Hatter’ pub which is very well located just by the South Bank area of central London. Have a pint of the delicious London Pride for me.
And then there’s the (discounted) regular hotel scene – in the off-season bargains abound, it’s really not as expensive as one might think. Favourite, one resource, web site for this kind of stuff is undoubtably LateRooms – it now covers all of Europe as well so might be handy as a reference point for many a DopeFest. The particularly good thing about LateRooms – as opposed to, for example, LastMinute.com – is that you book direct so there is no agent commission involved: Late Rooms

This is an alternative (although not as comprehensive or cheap as LateRooms: Mini Breaks

At the cheap end of the non-discounted hotel market is : Travel Lodge (the URL works so I assume the site itself is temporarily down) - starts at about £60.00. Again, very central (if you go for the Westminster Bridge Lodge).

As I mentioned, there is a lot of spam on regular search engines. Thit was long, probably too long, but it might help someone.

Hmmmm, anyone think it’s a little funny that it always seems to be the American girls organizing these EuroDoperFests?

<d&r>

BTW, I’m glad I snooped, I’m going to have to C&P that list of hotels LC gave in case I ever make it down to London. Thanks Andy!

Three reasons for this post:

1. To confirm that I can make it, and that the map is excellent
  2. To bump this thread back up
  3. And to (quietly so as not to piss off Eutychus55 with a post count party) celebrate my 100th post

Are you sure you’re in England? :wink:

Let me just check my calendar…flippin’ heck, I’m in Italy that weekend. You’ll just have to party on without me.

Just bumping this for any late arrivals.

If the mods don’t object, I’ll bump it once next week as well.

Just giving this another bump. We’re all still going, yeah?

Yep. RickQ and I may be there early as he’s arriving at lunchtime. If anyone else is likely to be there early email me and I can arrange something (Camden markets maybe).

yeah, still going…pub, fellow dopers…what’s not to go for?

If anybody is interested I have a bedroom spare/separate bath in central London, only too happy to offer as it might get this sub-centenarian an Invite. Just email me if anyone is interested.

We were all sub-centenarians at one point, messiah.

I’m not sure what time I’ll be arriving, to be honest. Not having been to London in a couple years there are a number of things I’d like to do there and I don’t expect to be up to much on Sunday :wink: I’m thinking it will probably be around 7 or 8 before I can turn up.