London Underground Shut Down After Power Surges

Update from here - 6 underground stations and up to 3 buses. Unconfirmed reports of 20 dead, and unconfirmed figures of 90 casualties at Aldgate.

One thing from the map on the BBC site - each of the blasts seems to have been aimed at a different tubeline (or combination of). Russell Square apparently has a lot of the main London bus routes running through it. If someone was trying to cause maximum disruption it seems this would do it.

I’m not commenting on the no welshman thing, after spending 30 minutes trying to find out if mine was alright.

[del]Russell Square[/del] King’s Cross Piccadilly

The local news says that the bus explosion was at Tavistock Square.

BBC are reporting that an organisation responsible for monitoring Arab terrorist groups are saying that they’re almost certain that Al Qaeda are responsible.

(I mentioned to him that he is a moron. He did not deny it.)

The Met is now saying it’s probably a major terrorist attack, according to Sky. Marks & Spencer has evacuated its Edgware Road store and its Simply Food store at Marylebone Station.

My company has evacuated an office at Liverpool Street but are asking other offices to stay put on account of the number of people on the streets.

Good Lord! I am so sorry this is happening to y’all. We in the US are sensitive to this, and we’re right behind you. (not that I can really speak for the US, but you know what I mean)

We’re running a skeleton crew and told people who weren’t already in to stay home. We’re still in the office largely because getting home would be a nightmare: where we are there are no buses, tubes, trains etc running and the taxis aren’t allowed in - and its a bit crowded to walk.

My bro is an A&E doctor in London - lots of casualties being brought in.

7 confirmed explosions so far, but police fear more.

Mobile networks back open now I believe.

Tony Blair confirmed that it was terrorists.

People still trapped underground at Kings Cross.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Already the conspiracy theories are starting - Bush is getting the blame on the UK talkboards :rolleyes:

A Tube train is stuck in a tunnel at Kings Cross, according to the BBC, and the London Ambulance Service says it’s been called out to Leicester Square.

My office is between King’s Cross and Euston, all this is happening around us. All my colleagues either made it in safely, or turned round and went home, although one woman got off the bus that exploded about a minute beforehand - she has injuries from the flying glass.

We’ve been told not to leave, but I just want to go home. I’m really scared.

I was grumbling about not being able to get my online BBC7 comedy reruns due to server overloading until I found out this was going on. Makes me feel a little petty to find out a major incident is causing a rush on BBC’s website.

I can only compare what you must be feeling now to when I was in Atlanta and the Olympic park was bombed. And what you need to remember is that you’re safe right now. You’re alive. You’ll be okay and you’ll get through this.

Jennyrosity, from what you’ve just said I’m not that far away from you. We’ve been advised to stay in the office for safety, although they won’t stop anyone who wants to try and get home.

At the moment you are much safer where you are now than you would be out on the streets, especially with all the rescue operations taking place. If you can tune a radio to XFM they can give you up to date news on it.

Jenn, keep safe. I’m miles away and can’t get it out of my head. Can only imagine what it’s like up there.

I just woke up to the sound of the radio and for a moment I thought I was having an unpleasant dream.

Please stay safe, Londoners. We are all thinking of you.

My office is on Moorgate in the block north of the underground station. Nothing unusual going on from a glance out the window, but many more sirens than usual today … at least my walk home isn’t too bad.

This is just awful.

Bloomberg has just reported that “al-Qaeda in Europe cell” has claimed responsibility for the bombings in a statement on an Islamist website.