London Underground Shut Down After Power Surges

My thoughts and prayers are going out to Londoners, and all who have loved ones there. This is horrible. :frowning:

I find myself wondering just what the motive behind the attack was, do they want the war to go on for longer, with more countries jumping in, or are they drunk on their on overestimated power and not considering that such things might happen?

Who’s “they” and what’s “the war”?

I believe Zabali was referring to Dax’s comment about Al Qaeda taking credit for the attack. And the war in reference would be the War in Afghanistan and Iraq.

That’s the problem - they’re two different wars.

In the minds of the people claiming responsiblity though, it is just one war. Suffice it to say, that I find at this point in time whether or not I agree with the military actions in those countries, I can see that this action, if it really is Al Queida behind it, will not get them their goal. :frowning:

Bloomberg has cited the AP quoting an unidentified U.S. law-enforcement official as saying that the bombings have killed at least 40 people.

And ABC news now says at least 43 dead.

Clearly ABC have more balls - rather than tiresome cites, the number 43 appears on their splash on the homepage, and doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere else.

Yeah, I noticed that, GorillaMan. Ya think they’d attiribute the number to somebody or something. Friggin’ editors.

According to The Guardian, the 40 dead figure has come from the ambulance service speaking to Sky News.

A friend of mine who works in one of London’s hospitals says that the hospital is in a state of emergency - which means her OB/GYN dept is closed, but the staff are waiting to see if A&E need more manpower - so far they don’t.

Just announced at a news conference that “at least 33 dead”.

No claims of responsibility rceived so far by the police, despite the earlier (unofficial) attribution to Al-Qaeda.

My brother phoned me earlier this morning, told me to turn on the TV to what was happening. He works five minutes from the Liverpool St. Station, and would have been on that train had he not overslept.

He was also on a train in Madrid during the terrorist attacks. Maybe it’s him they’re after.

http://www.pfff.co.uk/weblog/archives/2005/07/surviving_a_ter.html

My ex girlfriend and two other friends travel through Aldgate every morning, and she works at Liverpool street. They were all late for work, or they would have been in it.

Is this all our LondonDopers accounted for or what?

I just flew into London yesterday - had no idea until I got out of customs that anything had happened. The place I was supposed to be staying at was between Russell Square and Kings Cross. ::shudder:: What a nightmare. And I have to be in Edinburgh by Monday. Not the best place to be at the moment. Hope everyone is safe.

A poster at the G’Dope Message Board linked to A Letter To The Terrorists, From London from The London News Review:

I posted this in it’s entirety in another thread here on the dope… I love it because this is exactly what’s gonna happen in this fair city that I live in…