London's Calling ... One day for me in London

I have roughly a day to spend in London (on my way to beautiful Glouchester) and I’m looking for recommendations on what to do. Since our time is way to short to do justice to the city, my wife and I are looking for the best of the best. We don’t mind the touristy stuff (as long as it’s not too crowded), and enjoy good food, so any recommendations of the “must see” in London would be great.

And, as a long shot, I’ll have some time to myself in Glouchester, so any recommendations of things to do there would be great too.

Thanks Dopers!!!

When you say Glouchester do you mean Gloucester ?

I suppose the best way to see ALL of London in a single day is to go on the London Eye, which is situated on the opposite bank of the Thames to the Houses of Parliament (and about 5 minutes’ walk from where I work in Horseferry Road).

If you are not sacred of heights and provided it is not completely overcast, you will at least get a good idea of the city’s layout.

I agree with this - it’s a well-run attraction and you can picture the Wheel being floated down the Thames, then raised into position. :cool:

How about the Tower of London?

‘Founded nearly a millennium ago and expanded upon over the centuries since, the Tower of London has protected, housed, imprisoned and been for many the last sight they saw on Earth.
It has been the seat of British government and the living quarters of monarchs … the site of renown political intrigue, and the repository of the Crown Jewels … It has housed lions, bears, and (to this day) flightless ravens … not to mention notorious traitors and framed members of court, lords and ministers, clergymen and knights.’

http://www.toweroflondontour.com/

And as a counterpoint to the magnificent birds-eye views from the London Eye, what about a guided walk through the streets:

‘To go on a London Walk, meet your guide and fellow walkers on the pavement (“sidewalk” in North American parlance) just outside the designated LondonTube Stop (Underground Station) at the time stated.’

Assuming the weather is OK, do your own walk. Just get any tourist map which shows all the main things to see between the Tower and Westminster, and join the dots as you go. You can easily fill a whole day doing this.

Go to the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden! Please go! They’re going to close it down otherwise. And entry is free.

Oh, and if you enjoy good food, I definitely recommend Borough Market. Try the scallops. They’re phenomenal. From there you can wander towards the river, maybe stop for a drink and a sit down while you take in the view, then stroll along the South Bank. You could (if you’re feeling flush) head towards the Oxo Tower for dinner, where you get to watch the sun set over London while you eat.

Sorry if I’m waxing a little lyrical. I’m spending the Easter weekend exploring all the bits of London I never get to see (which is most places outside of my flat, my office and my local), and it’s wonderful.

Yes. I like to think of the extra “h” as my own little revenge for the English use of the letter “u”, in color, flavor, and honor.

If you’re saying it how you’re spelling it though, then the ultimate revenge is ours :slight_smile:

Tower of London and London Eye is probably a good call. That’ll probably be enough for a day (especially if you wander round the South Bank as well)