Lonely hotel rooms.

Just in case it’s not clear, here is a clip to which I referenced my “Those aren’t pillows” remark:

link

mmm

Thank you, mmm. It was far worse than I thought.

I have no idea what mangeorge is on about tho.

The resort I work at does this backwards from hotels I’ve stayed at (not that I could afford to stay where I work!); a room with a single bed actually costs less than a room with two beds, within the same size category of rooms (so a “medium with a king” has a slightly lower rate than “medium with two doubles”, the lowest rates are for a room with a single queen bed; aside from suites or balcony rooms, the ones with two queens are the most expensive and rarest, not the most common.) I’d never run into that before, but it makes sense to me – especially as the rooms vary in size quite a lot, our hotels being 75 years old and having had various remodeling jobs over the years, so there’s a whole pile of different categories of rooms with various layouts anyway.

Sometimes I envy people who are doing reservations for a hotel with maybe three or four types of rooms plus suites. It’s got to be a lot easier to learn.

Personally, I’ve always seen a room with one bed as being sort of extra-special, even if that does mean there isn’t a second bed to put stuff on.

You’re never lonely in a hotel room in Thailand.

All my stuff fits in the tv chair. My stuff for this trip includes one change of pants, three shirts, and three sets each of socks and whitie-tighties. My little duffle bag looks empty.
Not nearly enough stuff for a whole bed, eh.
Anyway, I was referring more to even sven’s “someone is sleeping there” idea. My mistake. But that’s okay, considering the forum we’re in.
Now I’m going to go to sleep and dream that that’s my long-ex-wife in the other bed, and not some stinkin’n pillows.

I would say that’s 'cause it’s a resort. I worked in a resort in Naples, Florida, that had a similar pricing scheme as you described. Resorts always have more complicated pricing schemes.

Yeah, it probably is. But convincing people that stuff like our cancellation policy is a lot stiffer than regular hotels is a bitch – “because we’re a resort” doesn’t really seem to work. Though that’s why! People plan to come up here years in advance in some cases. This isn’t a place most people grab a room for the night on their way through; that does happen, but not too often.

I happen to think it’s well worth the trip, but I suppose I’m biased; I geniuinely love it up here.

“One bed for my stuff”?? No no no…it’s one bed for jumping from, and one bed for jumping to. And my god have mercy on you if you land in the lava in between.

No fair if your brother/sister moves the “to” bed.

Well lah-de-dah. Would you like a door that locks too, your majesty?

Motels, especially those pre-1970 models tend to have the bathroom at the back of the room. It is engineered for easy maintenance in that design. The water pipes for both sides of the motel can be accessed from a service passageway the runs down the center of the motel.

If the motel/hotel I’m using is one with tiny rooms, I opt for the king bed because two double beds usually make it too crowded to navigate easily. Otherwise, I prefer the “one bed for me, one for my stuff” mode.

I guess I could go for the two bed mode, then invite some homeless person in, huh?

Well…maybe if she’s hot.

Following up to my own post. How lonely is that?

Anyhow, I realized that I feel the most lonely in bargain chain motels, like Super 8, Motel 6 and Red Roof Inn. Why? The rooms tend to be sparse as it is, and the furniture is usually very plain. I wonder how I’d feel in some hipster boutique hotel with minimalist furnishings.

I feel lonely in those bargain hotel rooms because you can’t open up the drapes and have some kind of a “private” view. The windows in those places usually face a walkway of some sort. Even if they have the extra set of lighter-fabric drapes, I never feel sure that people walking past can’t see in. Sitting in a hotel room with the those heavy (usually plastic) drapes closed and the sunlight coming in around the edges is particularly depressing.

Most better places are, I think, aware of that and fill those spaces with chairs or a desk or something. Maybe even an armoire, or a couch.
I really like having a cuch in my room.

I’ve stayed in two luxury hotels, both because the hotel (four star) I reserved had overbooked. Both had, in addition to other ammenities, a really nice robe (and towels, etc). And both had a discrete note that all was available for a decent price. You could either have the stuff brought to your room or simply take what you wanted with you and it would be added to your bill.
Is this a common practice? One was IIRC, the Sheraton in Seattle. It has been a while though. The other was in Manhattan.

I think that was a not-so-subtle way of warning you that if you steal their stuff, they’ll charge you for it anyway – it’s not like they can’t track the robe that went missing from room 47 and your information, including whatever credit card you used, is in their computer.

Thing is, I’ve never seen the like in lesser establishments.

Summertime in Bakersfield? EVERYBODY’s hot.