Long-haul flights: how much idle time does the cabin crew have?

Thinking of long international flights, like Detroit to Japan. I know that duty hours within a 24-hour period are limited, and while one crew is flying the plane at departure, there is a stand-by crew chilling in crew rest quarters, waiting to take over operation for part of the flight.

I’ve previously asked about how the cockpit crew passes the time when they’re not busy flying the plane. Now I’m asking about the cabin crew. When they’re on duty but not serving food or collecting trash, how do they pass they time? During their duty hours, how much idle time do they actually have on long flights like that?

IANA expert on long-haul but I can throw out a few tidbits of US & my employer’s practice. Last I knew when I left SDMB for my sabbatical, we had no FAs on the board though IIRC there were a couple of former FAs who had done the job for a couple of years, not as careerists.

As a general bit of FAA regulation you need 1 FA per 50 pax or fraction thereof. As an example, our 777-300s that run ultra long-haul have 304 pax seats which imply 7 FAs. But another tidbit of the regs actually requires 10 due to the typical long-ish duration and the practical need to take breaks. 787s, 777-200s, & A330s are just smaller enough to get by with 8 FAs for long haul.

On longer long-haul an extra FA is required if the duty day exceeds 14 hours, another if > 16 hours, and another if >18 hours. For regulatory purposes “duty day” starts when you clock in for work and ends when you park the jet on the last flight before a hotel stay. Typically clock-in is 90 minutes before the jet is scheduled to depart. Which also means you’ve been on premises about a half hour before clock-in because long haul flight don’t leave from small airports with close-in parking, nor with short walks from curbside to the gate. Oh well at least you’re not getting paid for any of that time at work pre- or post-clockin. Crazy business.

Long haul rarely flies more than one flight between hotel stay, but it occasionally happens. For simplicity let’s assume a single flight.

So the max case of 13 FAs on an 18h+ duty day would be working a 16.5h+ flight.

In general there’s an FAA requirement for somebody to do a cabin walkthrough every IIRC 20 minutes to look for stuff out of the ordinary: anyone who appears unconscious or dead, water where it doesn’t belong, etc. A lot of the trash runs up & down the aisle are disguised FAA cabin checks. If the seat belt sign is on for a long time (>1h ??) there’s also a requirement to walk through to check compliance periodically*.

From a regulatory POV after that the FAs are pretty well on their own. Their time is spent however the employer wants them to do their customer service jobs, not their FAA-mandated safety job.

When the customer service work is done then practically speaking they’re on their own. I beleive our carrier forbids sitting in a passenger seat and forbids magazine reading unless in a break area out of sight of customers.

As a practical matter a lot of yakking takes place and nowadays a lot of fiddling with their phone / tablet connected to the aircraft wifi. Plenty of paperbacks are brought to defeat the no magazines rule. Which rule probably dates unchanged from the days when we carried magazines to hand out and they didn’t want the cabin staff bogarting them all.

There is an organized shift system where each of the FA’s have an opportunity for a nap. I dont have the specifics, which would vary by aircraft type, carrier, and length of flight.

On shorter long-haul flights on smaller aircraft, e.g. 767, their “rest area”, like the pilots’ rest area, could be nothing more than a business class seat hidden behind a curtain. But right next to a galley so fully exposed to bright lights & noise. Each person takes their e.g. 2 hour turn “resting” there.

On longer flights on bigger aircraft, e.g. A350, 777, A380, a dedicated “bunkroom” is installed someplace backstage with a few beds akin to the sleeper cars on a railroad train. Typically it’s upstairs in the crown of the fuselage.

Overall, the FA’s work life is much more lightly regulated than a pilot’s is. So it falls much more to employer-specific procedures about how to do their job and how to wile away the excess time after that. And to a much larger degree than the pilots, what really happens in the cabin on a day-to-day basis is a result of their own informal but very well-understood workplace culture, not the line-by-line minutiae of their employer’s procedures manual.

* At my carrier at least they don't provide the pilots with much if any info on the details of the FA's regulations or procedures or duties beyond emergency ops. Hence all the ??s and IIRCs in my comments here.

LSLGuy clearly has the real world experience but if you go to youtube and check out Mentour Pilot and Captain Joe, some of their videos get into what the flight attendants do. I don’t recall them specifically talking about what they do during down time while not on duty, thought it’s entirely possible I don’t remember it. Both of them cover a lot of ground. They both, IIRC, have entire videos on the ‘secret’ sleeping area for the FAs and pilots. I believe Captain Joe goes into more detail with that.

Great info LSLGuy. Thanks

Aha! I had wondered why they did so many trash runs, especially at times when there didn’t seem ro be any particular reason that people would have a lot of trash.

“Disguised” might be the wrong word. More like “Since I gotta walk the aisle(s) anyhow I may as well do something useful along the way”.

Pax are real creative on how they hide trash. Given their small allotment of space they sorta need to be. The sooner we get it out of their hands the happier they are and the less accumulated damage, spillage, etc., occurs to the aircraft interior. Win-win.

I understood what you meant. I was just glad for an explanation, and also to know that they’re checking the cabin so often.

If you like boring jobs, here’s one.

We are now flying 777s & 787s as cargo-only flights TransPac. US west coast to/from Korea or China, US Midwest to/from Japan or Korea etc.

They pulled the seats out but left the rest of the passenger interior in place. And cargo is loaded into what was the passenger compartment. Figure 75-ish of the typical shrink-wrapped 5’ tall pallets of boxed whatever that you see littering the aisles at Home Depot.

We carry 4 flight attendants on these flights. Their job for 16 hours straight is to get up every 15 minutes and walk around all the cargo looking for signs of leakage or smoke. Then go sit down again in the handful of seats left installed for them.

Tough job but somebody’s gotta do it.