Looking for a book not by GRR Martin

Sorry, missed my Edit Window.

Something not mentioned by @Wendell_Wagner, but is on my shelf that could be a match is The Many-Colored Land by Julian May (1981). It’s a sci-fi based fantasy that feels like a much closer match to the Game of Thrones, in that it has elaborate set battles, duels, and intrigue between multiple factions and races, as well as individual city-states. It does include a float chair at several different points.

It’s actually the first book of a series, and part of a larger series of stories (of which I am a fan of course), and should appeal to both Scifi and Fantasy readers since it is very much a part of both traditions.

I also found

Which was an amazing reminder of all the stuff I read (and still may have copies of a few), and would forward to the friend, I’d bet if we haven’t mentioned it, it is on that list somewhere

A related page,

has a more complete cover list, that might help spark memories.

Well we own all except for 3 of those … [we own about 5000 books, more or less =) ]

And I am female, and it is the husband looking for the book =)

I am thinking this may really be a lost cause, despite the brains here finding a book I once read and got from a library back in like 1972 as an 11 year old from a moderately vague description. BUt thanks all =)

Then I apologize for the mistake, and cross fingers that you do find it. And yeah, going through those lists was like “and I’ve read that, and that and that, oh and that…” Even though many are long since back at the library or used book store.

What terrified me was realizing (from say the 80s to aughts) was that I’d read so many . . . and that was now up to 40 years ago or so. crumbles to dust

This reminds me very strongly of Orson Scott Card’s Homecoming Saga, especially the city-state idea and the business with one protagonist needing a floater to get around.

They came out in the 90s, though.