Looking for a good science history book.

Can anyone recommend a good history of modern science book?

More accurately, I’m looking for a book covering the lives and time of scientists like Copernicus, Galileo, Da Vinci, etc… You know, the forefathers of modern science.

For ecomomies of time and money, I’d like a single book or two that covers them well rather than a single exhaustive book on each one. However, if a single tome on each is what’s best, I’ll consider that as well.

Thanks.

Coming of Age in the Milky Way, by Timothy Ferris. One of my favorite books in any subject. A fascinating history of how humanity’s vision of itself in the universe has changed over time. There’s lots on the famous astronomers of the past, like Galileo, Copernicus, Kepler, etc.

Thank you.

I also found The whole shebang by the same author. Looks interesting as well. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this is what you had in mind, but A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a fantastic read, and a very informative book.

Something like The Science Class You Wish You Had: The Seven Greatest Scientific Discoveries in History and the People Who Made Them might be what you have in mind.

It is as well. I’m a fan of Ferris, I’ve read most of his stuff. The only one I don’t heartily recommend is The Red Limit, mostly because it’s a little outdated now. (The discussions of “current” astronomy in Coming of Age… are also outdated, but they take up only a small portion of the book.)

A bit ambitious and wide in scope. I’m really looking for an interesting history the key players of the dark ages into the age of enlightenment. I think. :slight_smile:

But thank you.