Looking for a quote about our big beautiful world

I’m painting a world map on the closet doors of my son’s room. I wanted to include a quote about the beauty and grandeur and immensity and massive beautiful diversity of the people of the world. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a good one yet.

I was hoping that the great minds here would be able to help me out and give my children something beautiful and profound to ponder for years to come. Anybody up for the challenge?

Some information to help our quest. Our family is very multiracial - bonus points for authors of color. We live in a very diverse neighborhood in Oakland. I’ve done a good bit of travelling in the third world and loved every minute of it. We’re politically progressive - bonus points for any quote from a revolutionary figure. :smiley:

<sits back, expecting great things…>

I have no quotes for you, but I’m thinking you could make one up all on your own. It’s evident that you have an appreciation for all these things - what do YOU have to say about it?

It’s a magical world (hobbes ol’ buddy) let’s go exploring.

and I think to myself…what a wonderful world.

Just look at what we can do. Did you know we could do that?

If you can’t tell I think simple is best.

A wholesome and broad minded view of the world cannot be obtained by sitting in one little corner of it all one’s life.[ul]Mark Twain[/ul]

Here Be Monsters

Unless man is committed to the belief that all mankind are his brothers, then he labors in vain and hypocritically in the vineyards of equality.
Adam Clayton Powell Jr. (1908 - 1972), ‘Black Power: A Form of Godly Power,’ 1967

It’s the very first one on this page.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/equality/

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: “Mankind”. Basically, it’s made up of two separate words - “mank” and “ind”. What do these words mean ? It’s a mystery, and that’s why so is mankind. - Jack Handey

"What about the main thing in life, all its riddles? If you want, I’ll spell it out for you right now. Do not pursue what is illusory, property and position: all that is gained at the expense of your nerves decade after decade, and is confiscated in one fell night. Live with a steady superiority over life - don’t be afraid of misfortune, and do not yearn after happiness; it is, after all, all the same: the bitter doesn’t last forever, and the sweet never fills the cup to overflowing. It is enough if you don’t freeze in the cold and if thirst and hunger don’t claw at your insides. If your back isn’t broken, if your feet can walk, if both arms can bend, if both eyes see, and if both ears here, then whom should you envy? And why? Our envy of others devours us most of all. Rub your eyes and purify your heart - and prize above all else in the world those who love you and who wish you well. Do not hurt them or scold them, and never part from any of them in anger; after all, you simply do not know: it might be your last act before your arrest, and that will be how you will be imprinted in their memory. "
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn from "The Gulag Archipelago"

“Ignite a candle of love in every meeting, and with tenderness rejoice and cheer ye every heart. Care for the stranger as for one of your own; show to alien souls the same loving kindness ye bestow upon your faithful friends. Should any come to blows with you, seek to be friends with him; should any stab you to the heart, be ye a healing salve unto his sores; should any taunt and mock at you, meet him with love. Should any heap his blame upon you, praise ye him; should he offer you a deadly poison, give him the choicest honey in exchange; and should he threaten your life, grant him a remedy that will heal him evermore. Should he be pain itself, be ye his medicine; should he be thorns, be ye his roses and sweet herbs. Perchance such ways and words from you will make this darksome world turn bright at last; will make this dusty earth turn heavenly, this devilish prison place become a royal palace of the Lord - so that war and strife will pass and be no more, and love and trust will pitch their tents on the summits of the world.” – Bah’ai prayer.

“I Believe
I believe in the supreme worth of the individual and in his right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.
I believe that the law was made for man and not man for the law; that government is the servant of the people and not their master.
I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.
I believe that thrift is essential to well ordered living and that economy is a prime requisite of a sound financial structure, whether in government, business or personal affairs.
I believe that truth and justice are fundamental to an enduring social order.
I believe in the sacredness of a promise, that a man’s word should be as good as his bond; that character – not wealth or power or position – is of supreme worth.
I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free.
I believe in an all-wise and all-loving God, named by whatever name, and that the individual’s highest fulfillment, greatest happiness, and widest usefulness are to be found in living in harmony with His will.
I believe that love is the greatest thing in the world; that it alone can overcome hate; that right can and will triumph over might.”
- John D. Rockefeller, Junior

You better get a big closet door!

Yeah, uh, brevity might be a plus. Luckily, of ianzin’s suggestions, I think I like the Jack Handey quote the best.

Thanks to Paco and Zenster for the suggestions - I love Mark Twain. And LifeOnWry, thank you for suggesting something I’d never considered. Unfortunately, that course of action places the burden back on my shoulders when I’m trying my hardest to pass it along to the folks on this message board. The collective brilliance of that brain surely must surpass my own puny mind, right?

Right?

How about a piece of Victoriana? I learned this from Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm, but it’s by William Brighty Rands:

Great, wide, beautiful, wonderful World, 
          With the wonderful water round you curled, 
          And the wonderful grass upon your breast-- 
          World, you are beautifully drest.

Mostly Harmless

What is life but an irritating interruption of peaceful nonexistence?