Looking for recommendations for an online TV service

The situation: I have DirecTV service at home, with whole-home DVR, etc. All the bells and whistles. This service does not include DirecTVNow, their online service. Circumstances have forced me to accept a job more than five hundred miles from home. Since commuting is impossible, I have rented a small duplex near work – like less than a hundred feet from work. My wife is still at home. We are keeping the existing DirecTV service at home. This affords me a wide variety of access to channels using my DirecTV account. What I cannot access, however, is local channels. Mainly, I want to be able to watch football games and other live events. Otherwise, using the networks’ own apps and Hulu, I have access to nearly everything I could possibly want.

So, what TV service would allow me to get local network channels so that I can watch live news, sports, and weather. Over-the-air is not possible – I am more than 150 miles from the nearest TV station. There are mountain between me and the city. I am in the El Paso TV market, but I don’t really care where the locals come from. My home is in the Austin TV market.

I have broadband and a Roku TV. The TV has apps for DirecTVNow, Sling, YouTube TV, Philo, and a host of others.

It looks like there are a lot of repeater stations in the El Paso market, particularly around Las Cruces.

Have you tried checking antennaweb.org? You may be closer to a station than you think.

Since you’ve already got a DirectTV subscription, you might be interested in a SlingBox(note, this is different from Sling TV)

Basically, it gives you remote access to your actual cable box. If you set it up on your cable box in Ohio and go on vacation to France, when you fire it up you are actually watching a stream of your cable in Ohio, on Ohio time, watching Ohio channels.

My friends have been using this doohickey for a while, since before even streaming Netflix was a thing. When the one would visit here from Georgia, he’d spend the evening watching his own TV at home, catching up on Georgia sports.

I tune in to it every so often - since I don’t have cable here, it’s the easiest way for me to catch a game on ESPN or see something live on CNN.

There’s no monthly fee. You just buy the box and hook it up to a cable box in your house. The only caveat is that the remote user can control the channel that’s being currently shown on the home box, and so can the home user. So if you only have one DirectTV box you and your wife will have to decide who “gets the remote” as it were.

If all you want are local channels, couldn’t you just get an antenna? The digital ones work really well nowadays.

If you really want a full tv experience, we just got Playstation Vue a month back and I love it so far. You get all the sports channels (ESPNs, Big Ten, NFL Net) an unlimited DVR, great on demand and everything for only 50 a month.

There’s no such thing as a digital TV antenna.

Are you sure you don’t care where the locals come from? Why would you want to watch the weather and sports from some random city?

Contact the local cable company for your duplex and see if they have a local-only package. It might just be 20 channels and have local networks, community access, shopping, etc. Some cable companies even have a streaming version where you don’t actually get cable to the house. You just use their streaming app. If your wife switches to Time Warner/Spectrum, I think they have a streaming app which would allow you to watch all the channels she gets in Austin.

These products beg to differ

Good grief. I mean it. Good grief. That’s pure marketing baloney. Did you leave out a smiley???

From Wikipedia on TV antennas: “Sellers often claim to supply a special “digital” or “high-definition television” (HDTV) antenna advised as a replacement for an existing analog television antenna; at best this is misinformation to generate sales of unneeded equipment, at worst it may leave the viewer with a UHF-only antenna in a local market (particularly in North America) where some digital stations remain on their original high VHF frequencies.”

It’s like when CDs became popular and stores like Best Buy started selling “digital” headphones, etc. Or better yet “Digital-ready”.

Or maybe an AirTV, which may or may not be a Sling TV product, a Slingbox product, or who the hell knows what because it seems that two companies that both operate in the streaming media industry both have Sling for a name and have similar products, but obviously different websites but damn the AirTV sort of looks like like a Slingbox but may just be a Sling TV product but just who knows?

Anyway, I looked into something like this a few months ago and considered a SlingBox M2, but from what I could tell it required component video output and not HDMI. Do the DirecTV boxes even have component video output anymore? And reading some of review comments made me think that the current SlingBox units serve a lot of ads.

Now, the AirTV unit doesn’t even have a video output, component or HDMI. It just has an antenna input, and a network connection to stream video on the network and supossably over the internet all the way to Van Horn (your particular section of Hell is Van Horn, right?) I haven’t tried this, but if it works as advertised, it may be what the OP is looking for. But it requires an antenna at his home in Austin to actually pick up the on the air signal.

And the small print begs to differ.

“Compatible with” does not mean “Only for”