Looking for resources to estimate the value of a fifty year Franklin Mint coin collection.

Dad started collecting Franklin Mint proof coin sets around 1960. FAIK he never failed to buy a set right up until his death in 2011. The coins came every year just like clockwork. He looked at them and put them in a safe.

The grade would be premium. They’ve never been out of their sealed cases. Are there resources to get a rough estimate of the value?

They also got special sets of coins that were released. I remember a set of presidential coins that he got when I was a kid in 1972 or 73. Tiny coins that weren’t quite dime sized. But the proof sets are the ones that I know he got every year.

We may eventually get an appraiser. But are very nervous. We don’t want to invite the wrong guy to the house. Although moving this collection would be a big job. It’s heavy.

I realize a lot of people collected Franklin Mint. That means of course that the value probably hasn’t increased very much. These coins aren’t all that rare.

A Sucker Born Every Minute: The Franklin Mint Ripoff

Paging SamClem.

You’d probably need a bit more info - I think they basically resell the US Proof Sets - as well as some other countries.

Most of them are not worth very much $5.00 or so.

I need to check with my mom. Pretty sure the proof sets we have are real minted US coins that never went into circulation. They may have come directly from the Treasury. I’m just not sure.

But then they also bought some Franklin Mint stuff too. Only coins. They never got suckered into the pottery, dolls, miniature cars, and other crap Franklin Mint sold.

wow - I hope they aren’t the stuff that runner pat has listed, but if they are, and have real silver coins in it - you’ll get more than I posted. But nothing like what he paid. You can get close to the spot price of silver for any silver coins.

You don’t need those appraised - figure out how much silver is there - add it up - and call a coin dealer and ask if he wants them. They aren’t paying anymore than spot for the silver is my guess.

Wait for SamClem of course who has more experience (way more) than me.

Franklin Mint All 50 State Quarters. 129.95 ( 2.59 per quarter)

Chart-value of State Quarters( most are .28-.32 each)

Silver Eagle Dollar99.9% pure silver 1 troy ounce 159.00

Current price of silver 28.34/ troy ounce.

That does have more value than just the silver content as it is a legitimate US Mint coin. But it can be had for a lot less - generally $80-$100.

The 1987 to 2002 Silver Eagles are pulling some serious cash - $21,500 for a 1986 down to $2000 for a 2002. Later releases are $90 to $850 with most closer to $200. I assume that the Mint has raised the number produced each year.

All are supposedly MS70 condition as they were never released to circulation, but you can bet that some examples are flawed and even a small defect will drop the price dramatically.

Very few are MS70, which my local coin dealer friend assures me is no different than MS69 except for the ink in the two digits. You will pay several times more for MS70.

The rarest is the 1995W of which only 30,125 were minted. Retail is $3,700 for 69 and $14,000 for 70. Mine is a 69 and I picked it up at just under wholesale. A dealer would give me about $2,300 for it. In 100 years it might be worth a lot, but don’t count on it. These coins don’t circulate and they don’t get melted down. You could probably do better investing in something more traditional.

I will cheerfully sell you my 1986 for $10k.

I’d agree that it can be difficult to obtain an MS70 sample, but since all were locked up in protective cases upon release, they are all supposed to be in perfect condition and that’s often the only condition quoted in the price guides. We know that the Mint rarely takes such care to make each example perfect. The difference between uncirculated grades is slight enough that the dealer is always going to argue sellers down to 68 then turn around and post it at 70. Like so many things, perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

I remember back in the early Eighties when the price of silver and gasoline had both spiked. A service station in the area offered some kind of deal if you paid in silver dollars. A roommate ripped me off of about $2000 in silver dollars for about $40 of gasoline. Between silver runs, forgotten bunker caches, fires, sinkholes and the like, the 30,000 1995W Silver Eagles will dwindle by a third in the next fifty years then stabilize.

Getting back to the OP, anything purchased as a “collectible”, be it coins, sports cars or beanie babies, is a bad investment.

I can buy a Silver Eagle proof coin from the US Mint for $63. So why would I pay $159 to Franklin Mint?

Talked with my mom and got more info.

Most of what they got since 1960 are the uncirculated coin sets from the US mint and the double struck proof sets of US coins. There should be a set of each for every year. The mint also released a few pure silver sets that they bought over the years.

Since these are real coins then wouldn’t some have value to a coin collector? I know the dimes from before 1965 have silver in them. The coins wouldn’t have a large amount of value because they aren’t rare. A lot of people buy these from the mint. Mom also bought proof stamp sets from the Post Office. Same deal, probably not that rare.

They also bought some commemorative sets from the Franklin Mint. :frowning: Which apparently is considered a rip off today? Some gold and sterling silver ingot sets for sure. I remember mom had a couple engraved silver plates she hung in the living room. I’d keep those just for sentimental value.

Mom stopped buying the coins three years. So at least the collection isn’t growing. Some day I’ll have them and will have to deal with them.

Anyway, to correct my OP. Most of the coin collection was brought directly from the US Mint.

Only a few Franklin Mint commemorative sets were bought.

Sure glad they didn’t use Franklin Mint as much as I remembered. I never saw most of this stuff as a kid. Couldn’t risk a kid touching them. :smiley:

There are grading services, NGC and PGCS are the two most reputable. You don’t buy a coin or sell a coin as a 65 or above without it being graded by these companies and put in a sealed “slab” unless you really know your dealer. Mine sells me at just above his cost, making about 5 to 10 percent on the 95W, and up 50 percent on stuff that does not move as quickly.

I also collect Franklin Mint diecast cars. I enjoy them. I know what they go for on ebay, and mine, if I saved the boxes, which I don’t, could go for about 3/4 of what I paid. I have no intention of selling them, I have them on shelves and mantles around the house on display, it seems I think they look “cool”. I had a client once who was a manager of a Franklin Mint store, and I really can’t see why they lasted in malls as long as they did.

/b&n.

Here’s the bad news. Proof and uncirculated sets made by the US Mint since 1970
are as cheap as I’ve ever seen them. Most you can get anywhere from $2.50-10. There are a few ouliers worth more, but the average is horrible.

THe silver proof sets are bringing decent money. Figure you can get about 20 times the face value for the silver ones.

The FRanklin mint silver and gold medals/coins are doing well, by accident.
They’re worth selling right now.

Oh yeah, the pre-1965 mint/proof sets are also good now. 20 times face value

Sounds like we better hold onto the Proof and uncirculated sets for awhile. Maybe things will improve eventually after the economy gets better. We’ve kept them for decades and it doesn’t make sense to sell them off cheap.

It may be time to sell the Franklin mint stuff while those prices are good. I’ll have to run it by my mom.

thanks SamClem

The proof sets are likely silver (except for the penny and nickel) and would be worth selling now, with the price of silver being so high. As Sam said, other than a few outliers, uncirculated sets are just not worth much more than face. There are a few silver eagle years that are collectible, such as the 95 (even the non-‘W’ version) and 96 versions, which may bring $80 or so on eBay. Much more if slabbed.

They probably Aren’t silver.