Looking for The Saint

To be specific, I’m looking for either the two separate episode pilots made in 2013, or the television movie they were turned into in 2016, both titled The Saint. It starred Adam Rayner as Simon Templar and Eliza Dushku as Patricia Holm, with cameos by former Saints Roger Moore and Ian Ogilvy. Is this available anywhere?

My sources tell me it is available on iTunes US from today.

Very cool. Thank you for posting. Any idea if there will be more?

All I’m finding is that Val Kilmer monstrosity. Got a link?

Doesn’t look likely. It’s several years old and it took this long even to be released.

Which version did you find?

I haven’t seen it yet.

I am looking for this version, starring Adam Rayner as Simon Templar.

Yes, that’s the one. There’s a *Saint *thread on another message board that I frequent. People on that thread say that the long awaited *Saint *pilot starring Adam Raynor and Eliza Dushku is available on iTunes from today.

One person on the thread so far has downloaded it, watched it, and commented.
I’ll wait for a few more reviews/ opinions before I decide if its worth paying for.

Thank you.

Anyone seen it? What did you think?

Comments on the other forum have been somewhat negative.

Apparently it is on Acorn TV, so I’ll be able to check it out when we start our subscription next month. At the very least it can’t possibly be as contemptible to the source material as that Val Kilmer movie.

I don’t know. From the trailer it seems to be set in current times. I would much prefer to see a Saint set in the original time period. I’ll give it a chance, but I’ll probably wait to see if it comes to Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Of course, the original time period covered several decades, during which Simon Templar aged rather fewer years than real time. Would you set it in the twenties or the fifties?

I could have sworn I posted a reply last night. I’ll try to recreate it.

Meet the Tiger was published in 1928, so if it was just 1 or a couple or three I’d like to see it set in the 30s or the late 20s. I’d really like to see a series like David Suchet’s Poirot that goes through all or most of the original stories and novels set in the years each story was set. At least I’d like to see the stories with Pat, Roger, Dickie, Orace, et. al.

Yes, the very first was *published *1928, but there were hints in the early books that the events had taken place several years earlier. If I had the power to make a Saint TV show, I’d start in 1920, and imply that Simon & friends had been trained as spies during the war.

No. This exactly what I do not want. My only gripe about the Roger Moore series is that while he captured the personality of Simon almost perfectly, they downplayed the fact that he was a criminal to the point that a lot of casual watchers though he was some kind of agent. The books made it clear that he was a very clever man who went after bad guys for his own amusement. Who enjoyed putting one over on the law (especially Teal) almost as much. He was only 27 in Meet the Tiger, and it was implied that he’d already been at his game for some unspecified amount of time.

Which brings me to another reason why I would prefer to see him in his original time period. Many of the things he did to elude the police or put one over on The Ungodly would not be possible today.

I gave in and got he new movie and watched it.

Without spoilers:

The good:
Did a much better job of capturing his personality than Kilmer.
Leaving his calling card.
Pointed out that he gave most of his ill-gotten gains to charity.
Patricia
Fernack and at least a mention of Teal.

The bad:
Too much physical violence. Simon wasn’t above rough stuff in the books, but he preferred to use his head.
No knife play. Would have loved to see Anna and Belle.
Stupid Batmanesque made up backstory.
A number of nitpicky things that I won’t get into.

And the biggie: No Art of Alibi.

It’s on Netflix right now.