Looking to give?

If you make end-of-year charitable contributions (and of course you do, right?), and poverty/hunger is one of the causes you are interested in helping, the very best charity I have ever heard of in that category is here:

http://catalog.heifer.org/index.cfm

Just to give you a quick overview, what they do is give various kinds of animals (and trees!) to families and communities. Heifers, chickens, goats, pigs, rabbits, llamas, sheep, etc. They always make sure that there are males available for breeding purposes for every kind of animal; the goal is long term self-sufficiency

Different animals provide different sources of income. For the PETA/Vegetarian types among you, note that many animals provide food and income through milk and shorn hair. You can be specific about what kind of animal you want to give, and you can give a “share” of an animal. You can also give tree seedlings, silkworms and BEES! (I’m covered in beeeeez…). I’m giving a pig, the catalog said that is one of the most valuable animals and easiest/cheapest to raise.

And thanks to my good friend ** xenophon41 ** for researching further and learning that these guys have been around since 1944, 74 cents on each dollar goes to the program, with less than 6 cents going to management and “general”. Considering that less than 5% of Heifer’s funding comes from government and other grants, this compares quite well with the Salvation Army’s_83 cents (S.A. gets almost 40% of its funding from sales and government grants, and must only devote 4.4% of expenses to fund raising).

It is the perfect realization of the old adage: ** “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.” **

Please check this out, I think it’s a really terrific organization.

Remember what Ghandi said: “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”

Peace.

Thanks for sharing that. :smiley:

Yer welcome. I’m glad you care.

I guess I should have come up with a better title…