lorem ipsum/etaoin shrdlu

At the New York School of Printing (now the High School of Graphic Communication Arts), our literary magazine, published twice a year, was entitled “SHRDLU” for the very reasons you confirm in your answer to John S., back in march 1986.

This poem was included on the Editor’s Page, and the magazine also included articles of fiction, historical snippets (such as both Ben Franklin and Virginia Wolff, among others, were printers), poetry and other features.
Suppose you’ve ‘goofed’: Just take your ease
Hit that second row of keys.
Run your finger, tried and true,
Down s-h-r-d-l-u.
Laugh – 'cause lead’s just lead: Amen!
Use your copy – try again.

ETA: Link to column: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2777/whats-the-origin-of-the-mysterious-phrase-etaoin-shrdlu --Rico

The Straight Dope Message Board: Large Print Edition.

Close your right eye. Now read the first line out loud for me. Good. Now close your left eye and read the line with your right. Congratulations. You’ve passed your Department of Motor Vehicles eye exam.

I think the reference is to What’s the origin of the mysterious phrase “etaoin shrdlu”? instead. That column says, “The letters are arranged thus because that’s the order of their frequency of use in English, at least according to one calculation.” Why order of frequency? With a Linotype machine, after each line is moulded with hot metal, the moulds for each letter get returned to the top of the machine and sorted back for reuse. Putting them in order of frequency means that the common letters travel back a shorter distance.

Thank you! You’re entirely correct! Fixed.

At the New York School of Printing (now the High School of Graphic Communication Arts), our literary magazine, published twice a year, was entitled “SHRDLU” for the very reasons you confirm in your answer to John S., back in march 1986.

This poem was included on the Editor’s Page, and the magazine also included articles of fiction, historical snippets (such as both Ben Franklin and Virginia Wolff, among others, were printers), poetry and other features.

Suppose you’ve ‘goofed’: Just take your ease
Hit that second row of keys.
Run your finger, tried and true,
Down s-h-r-d-l-u.
Laugh – 'cause lead’s just lead: Amen!
Use your copy – try again.

happy now, troll?

<moderator>

Rich, your join date shows you’ve been around many years. I’m surprised you don’t know this rule:

Personal insults directed against other posters are not permitted outside the BBQ Pit forum.

This includes accusations of trolling.

So take it to the pit if you feel that strongly about it. And lighten up a bit, willya?

No warning issued. This time.

</mod>

ok, rico… sorry (i’ve been here THAT long?! )