Lost Driver Makes Wrong Turn Into Bad Neighborhood, Pays for it with His Life

The Christian-Newsome murder in Knoxville might be the most recent example of this, or at least the most recent one I’ve heard of.

If you haven’t heard of this case, or caught the discussion on the boards here about it, Google will give you many, many details. None of them are pretty, so click at your own risk.

I don’t use GPS, but my understanding was that a top of the line system will give you audio instructions so that you don’t need to take your eyes off the road.

Probably not, but the question in the OP referred to a “wrong turn.”

Planning routes to avoid bad neighborhoods entirely would be a little tricker. You would probably need to either know the area or talk to someone who knows the area.

I see a business opportunity here…

I know the OP was talking about the here and now, but historically I think blacks would be in much greater danger when entering certain white neighborhoods.

Just a few years ago, wasn’t there some hate crime that happened in East Texas somewhere, and the local sherriff commented that boy shoulda known he was in the wrong part of town?

Ironically around May 3rd, 1992, I was on the way to the L.A. courthouse (as the witness in a worker’s compensation matter) realized I was on the wrong bus, got off to grab the one headed in the correct direction, and found myself, a white guy wearing a suit, at the intersection of Florence and Normandie! Yikes. Took me couple of moments to realize I was being totally ignored. ot on the correct bus and went about my day.

By Grabthar’s Hammer I lived to tell the tale.

Not only might it get you killed, it could be the flashpoint for a major European conflict.

Here’s an article about a man robbed and killed after asking for directions. As others have said, this is probably more a wrong place, wrong time kind of thing.

Not quite. It was the mayor .

It’s a long article so here’s the relevant portion:
"Linden’s then-mayor Wilford Penny did decry the attack, telling the Chicago Tribune it was “very unfortunate and senseless.”

Penny then said something that seemed to undermine the idea that African-Americans are treated fairly in Linden: “The black boy was somewhere he shouldn’t have been.”

I think you’re getting excessively worked up over my phrasing.

Look, there’s a reason that certain neighborhoods get bad reputations. The South Bronx WAS an extremely dangerous neighborhood in the Seventies and early Eighties (it’s somewhat less so now). It WAS a place with an extremely high crime rate.

But contrary to “Bonfire of the Vanities,” most of the crime victims weren’t white folks who just wandered into the area by mistake or made a wrong turn while heading to Yankee Stadium. Most of the victims of serious crimes in the South Bronx were black people who lived there year-round.

Black-on-black crime was the norm. Black-on-white crime was relatively rare, though it tended to get a lot of publicity when it happened.