Lost kitty.....

Awww…! The board loves you too. :wink:
I did it every day for about a week. I’d take the can back and forth with me between the car and house, shaking as I went.
Hope your kitty is as much a treat ho as Daisi is. :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ll be keeping fingers and paws crossed for you guys.

Tiggerkitty,

First of all, major hugs to you and Cardsfan and hopeful wishes for a safe return of your kitty!

When I lived with my parents, my Oscar was an indoor/outdoor cat. He’d come running at night when he heard my car pull in (I worked 4:30-midnight) and troop downstairs with me to sleep and in the mornings, my mom would let him out for a bit and he’d come back in and sleep with me some more.

One night, he didn’t come running. I went out and shook the “shakeytreat” can, I “kittykittied” for him, I cried and prayed.

For 3 months this would be my routine every night, each afternoon…until I finally decided he wasn’t coming home. I put away his food dishes, gave his food to my neighbor for her cats, told God that it was in His hands now and cried myself to sleep.

The next morning, my younger brother yelled down to me (I lived in their basement) “do you want to see your cat?” I flew up the stairs and out of the door. Sure enough, there was Oscar under my car. I went most of the way to the car, sat on the ground and said “Oscarkittykitty”. He poked his head out, went “errr?” and ran to me purring the whole way.

I never thought I’d see him again…and there he was. Right now, he’s on my computer monitor going “errr?” (which is Oscar for "I hope your kitty comes home soon!)

Most cats when they get “lost” are usually within a few doors from home. It seems that they get so shaken up and scared that they find some place to hide and stay there. To them its a safe place, far safer then going out in the open and trying to get home. I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason most cats are gone about a week is it’s at that point that they finally get hungry enough to venture out. I’m sure you’ll find your baby. Who know’s maybe her adventure will have scared some sense into her.

Nah.

I’d recommend chipping your anuimals, just in case. It really isn’t that expensive, and the peace of mind is worth it.

StG

Just another quick “Don’t lose hope” anecdote.

Several years ago, I was sitting up, late at night, reading Stephen King’s “The Regulators.” Midway through the evening, I heard this sound, sounded an awful lot like a baby crying, and it spooked me right out, but I couldn’t locate the source. I figured my cat was doing the weird vocal thing she sometimes does, and went to bed.

Next day my then MIL comes over and goes down in the cellar for something. On the way back up, she asks me if I know that the cat is down there. Confused (how would she have gotten down there? I hadn’t opened the cellar in days), I looked down the steps and sure enough, there were 2 eyes looking back up at me. I called my cat’s name, and she came running up to me - from behind me!

So, it turned out there was another cat in my cellar. Best we could figure, she had snuck in a few days before while the oil delivery was being made. I lured the cat upstairs, gave her some food, and looked at her collar. There was one of those little tags on it with an ID number, but no vet’s name or anything else - just a number. So I called all the vets in the area, and finally landed on the right one. They had a client who lived about five or so miles from my house with that ID number. She gave me his number and I called him up.

Me: Hi, I’m calling because I’ve found a cat in my basement, and I think he might belong to you.

Man: Huh?

Me: Do you own a cat that is missing?

Man: …

Me: I’m sorry, maybe I have the wro-

Man: It’s a black and white cat?

Me: Yes.

Man: With a blue collar?

Me: Uh-huh.

Man: …

Me: I take it it’s your cat then. Would you like to come-

Man: That cat has been missing for over three months!
So, he came and got his cat, who had been missing for months and long given up for dead. The roads this cat would have had to have crossed to get from his house to mine make it just short of miraculous that it had survived at all.

So don’t lose hope.

If you have her litter tray with some slightly used stuff in it, put it outside and she may well recognise the scent as part of her home.

You guys/gals are coming up with GREAT ideas! I shall also do this as well.

Thank you so much for all the support and ideas. They are really helping Cardsfan and I get through this.

Is there any particular call you have for her when you’re going to feed her? My call for the Neville kitties is:

“Babies!” in a really high-pitched voice.
If I’d known it would be such an effective way to call them, I would have chosen a different word, but now I’m stuck with it. They know that food is coming when I call them that way.

It brings the kitties running from wherever they are. I haven’t seen it wake them up when they are sleeping, but I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s extremely useful when I’m starting the washer or dryer and want to make sure there are no kitties in it.

When Skippyroo went missing I always checked with the police department and animal control, to see whether anyone had requested the removal of an injured … or worse … kitty in their neighborhood.

I have to tell you, I’ve been following this thread and every time I see Tiggrkitty as the last response, I jump to click on it, but then I cringe!

Another “Cat Who Came in from the Cold” story:

We had a little tiger striped guy who just up and disappeared one day. Two weeks later, my then 5 year-old daughter, who had brought him home initially, was distraught over losing him. We decided to get her a parakeet to console her, but not make it seem like we were trying to replace her kitty. She had been wanting a bird, but we’d said no because of the cat. Literally two hours later, in the middle of a pouring rain storm, we heard a desperate meow at the back door. In walked Buster the Cat, soaking wet and hungry, but no worse for the wear. We figured daughter and Cat had struck a deal to get a bird in the house.

Sending good cat-finding vibes your way.

Yes, Cardsfan and I have been looking out for the “roadkill” signs. So far we have not seen anything within a 5 mile radius, which is why we still have hope that Ms Furball is still alive somewhere. Unless she has passed away in someone’s flowerbed, in which I would assume that person would probably not call animal control to have it removed. Way to many people would just bag the corpse and put it in their trash can. :eek:

Oh hon, I don’t mean to make you cringe! Honest! I just like giving people feedback on what wonderful ideas they are giving me; in order to search for the feline. I hate people opening threads, and then not returning for days, leaving you hanging on and on wondering what happened. I hope you guys/gals don’t mind. BTW…I now have the biggest damn plastic Pounce can I have ever seen ready to go looking for her.

This is Sabrina in all her royal glory and priss. Cardsfan jokes about her being the second love of my life right after him…I have to pipe up…provided he doesn’t piss me off, otherwise Sabrina takes the top seat. :slight_smile: She is about the size of a 6 month old kitten and she is actually 8 years old. Yeah…I love that goofball of a cat. She has such endearing qualities. I will find her, one way or another. You people have given me hope that I will find her.

Tiggrkitty, just to clarify, I meant that I’m hoping for good news and then I cringe, worrying about what the response might be. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear!
I’m glad you’re updating. And I’m glad this is giving you hope and support. Cats really are good at finding their way home.

I sort of figured that. I just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn’t the “drama queen” type.

People at work today asked me if I had found her and every time I broke out in tears, hardly able to speak. Last night while going to animal shelters and vets; explaining what happened I almost could not speak. I feel like my heart is being ripped apart for the loss of a tiny grey cat. That cat happens to mean the world to me, in all her silliness. We have 3 other cats and to me they do not compare to what Sabrina is. She greeted us at the door, “tucked” me in at night when it was time for me to go to sleep. She was there in the morning ready for a head butt at 5am. I can’t begin to explain Sabrina. I just miss her, for what she means to me. I would probably move a mountain for that cat. I know it seems silly, but seriously, she was that special of a kitty. At least to me she was that special.

I really want her back or I at least want to know what happened to her.

Sorry…if this post makes no sense. I have had to start and restart numerious times because I can’t help crying

It’s not silly at all, and makes perfect sense, at least to me. You love your cat.

She’s a very pretty cat, BTW.

Another vote not to give up hope. I posted this in another recent thread about “missing cats recovered”:

Our old, always-indoor cat got out last year. I looked and looked around the neighborhood, under bushes and so forth, with no luck. I was just sure he was too stupid to find his way home after wandering away; he had no claws, never outside… I was devastated, and did not have much hope at all.

I read somewhere that indoor cats who get out are most generally found within a three-house radius, and are simply too scared to come out when called. I looked fairly thoroughly in the immediate area, still no luck. I gave up.

One month later he showed up, under the car in our driveway.

Someone I know who has had a lot of indoor cats over the years, that have frequently escaped, is always confident that they come back, and I’ve certainly seen it happen many times in his case. So keep your eyes peeled around the outside of your house. My thoughts are with you, tiggrkitty, please keep us posted.

Just a quick update:

No kitty sightings. However we did get a call last night from a lady who had found a grey cat that was very pregnant. So people are paying attention to our flyers and keeping their eyes peeled for her. This gives us more hope of finding her.

Last night it started to rain around 8pm and never let up, so we figured that is why the food was still on the porch this morning. Hopefully she is holed up somewhere dry and warm.

Tiggrkitty - Any update?

StG

Day 5 of missing kitty:

Where to start… last night we heard the most God awful angry cries at our front door, as I cracked the door open there stood two stray cats; one orange/white tabby mix and the other a grey tabby. Our other 3 cats heard the racket and went in hiding, honestly I can’t blame them. I found Lexie under the covers on the bed shaking. I don’t think she has ever heard a cat growl and hiss like that.

After finding those two arguing over who got to eat, we figured it wasn’t Sabrina that we fed on Monday night. I am thinking those two may have chased Sabrina a bit farther down the street because these cats were HUGE. It was obvious that our house is in one of their territories and they were not happy with the interloper eating out of the food dish on our porch. Our cats are so quiet I forgot how damn loud cats can be when pissed off.

I wasn’t feeling very well last night so Cardsfan went walking, in search of the fluffball. He ran into a neighbor about 9 houses up that said her daughter sighted a grey cat in their backyard earlier that day; however when the cat saw her, it took off through a hole in the fence. So she didn’t get a very good look other than it was an adult grey cat, so there is still hope she is in the area.

When I get home tonight I am going to print around 200 flyers and walk down our alley, to put flyers on people’s windshields. My neighbors are probably going to get really, really annoyed with the cat flyers but you know what? I want my kitty back damnit! I have to believe she is close by and safe.

So keep sending good kitty vibes our way. I will keep you all posted with a daily update until we find missy.

That sounds promising.
In the words of Oddball “Have a little faith baby”

Okay.

I am exhausted, however I have a question…

For those of you that had your wandering cats return…did you live in a highly populated neighborhood? I covered 4 alley ways today and dumped about 150 flyers. THAT isn’t even close to covering a third of this subdivision. I walked 7 miles.

I am curious for those people that have had their cats return, did you live in a sub division to where the houses where 20 feet apart and more than 400 houses? How in the heck can a cat find their way home in this?

I am never going to find her am I? :frowning:

Cheer up. You only feel that way coz you’re tired.
:slight_smile:
I remember when my dog ran away. Gone for about a week.
And then one day he just showed up outside the gate.
He waited… a full 10 seconds before heading off again.

It was fortunate that we saw him. We speculated that he may have returned a few times, and then decided, ahh, I’ll explore some more.

So, don’t lose hope. The cat will come back.