My wife and I have been playing in the beta, with somewhat mixed reviews. Our main previous MMO experience is with CoH, so this review is relative to that.
On the plus side, the world is beautiful. They did a lovely job with the scenery and artwork. So far I’ve only seen the Shire and parts of the area around Bree, but I’ve been quite impressed with the feel and size of the world. I could easily spend months just walking around and looking at the scenery. True, this is relative to the bland and small cities of CoH - I haven’t played WoW or other modern MMORPGs to see how they stack up.
Granted the Shire does look a lot like hobbit-themed suburbs, but that’s what the shire should look like.
The gameplay itself, on the other hand, is unremarkable and unoriginal. The combat system is simply awful - confusing to watch, boring to look at, impossible to control during lag, and highly repetitive. I think one of the reasons I preferred to start in the Shire is that the majority of the missions there are non-combat.
The missions themselves are the usual that you find in any MMO - delivery missions, kill monsters, escort missions, finding objects. Nothing original there. Some of the story arcs are fun, but I’m not seeing much replay value.
Character customization is limited. You can choose your race and class. You have a limited ability to pick your face and body shape, and details such as hair and eye color. Your appearance in game will be largely determined by your equipment, and with a limited selection of gear there’s not much variety there. You can dye your clothing and armor different colors, if you can find or make dye.
Your actual combat abilities appear to be completely determined by your class and level. No unique combat styles here. Your level 10 Hunter is going to fight almost exactly the same as every other level 10 Hunter in the world. This is another reason I’ve been avoiding combat and instead focusing on exploration and story arc missions, which there are a lot of.
The crafting system is interesting, but there doesn’t seem to be much point to it - nearly everything you can craft can be purchased far more cheaply from vendors. The one exception was farming. Once you had raised your farming skills to a certain level it was possible to earn unlimited money by sitting in a field and farming all day. This has been changed with a patch today however, making farming as much of a losing proposition as all of the other craft skills.