[QUOTE=StuffLikeThatThere]
I tell any phlebotomist that comes near my arm that s/he will need to use a butterfly thingie. They always smile as if to say, “Well, others may have needed to do so, but I am spectacular at my job.” Then they look at my arm, and rummage around in their stuff for one of the butterfly thingies.
[/QUOTE]
At least they only look at your arm before reaching for the butterfly.
I’m a terrible stick too. And its in my notes that the easiest, nay only way to get blood out of me is to use a butterfly. Every single phlebotomist ignores this.
The latest one was when one of them looked at my left arm, and was told in no uncertain terms to use a butterfly. However, she decides to try and find a vein. I have very very thin veins close to the surface of my body, and thicker veins lie much deeper. So I tell her again that the best way to get blood out of me, and the only consistent way that it has worked in the past is to use a butterfly needle on either the back of my hand, or the side of my wrist. She says that she’s not going to do that, but she’s sure she can find a vein in my arm. She looks at my left arm, and realises that there’s no suitable vein there, so goes to my right one, and finds a not so thin vein fairly deep down, and decides to go for that. She jabs the needle in. I wince in pain. Some blood starts to trickle into the tube. Then the pain starts. She wiggles the needle a bit to get more blood coming through, and the pain starts radiating down my arm. I go pale, and she removes the needle.
So, she goes to get nurse #2 to do the butterfly, like I asked her to in the first place. Nurse #2 comes in and thinks she knows better than nurse #1. Nurse #2 jabs needle into left arm, into the vein that nurse #1 rejected on the grounds that it was too thin. Nurse #2 gets no blood out of me there, and leaves my left arm in considerable pain too. She then, finally, does the butterfly into the back of my left hand. Success first time round, and 10 minutes later, I’m out of there, having given them the necessary blood.
I had bruises running down the length of my arms, and my right arm was radiating pain from the elbow to the little and ring fingers. Great.