Love the song, hate what it's about

Are there any songs that you love or enjoy, except for what the singer is singing about?

For me, it’s Bryan Adams “Run to You” lyrics
I absolutely love everything about the song, but I hate what he’s singing about.

And for another example, although I don’t hate what the singer is singing about, I love the singing and music for Buckcherry’s “Lit Up” but don’t agree with singing the praises of cocaine.

So, what about the rest of you?

Heart, All I Wanna Do. Cool song, very bad message.

Actually, even though I like Heart, I never liked that song. And honestly, I never paid close attention to the lyrics, it was years after it came out that I heard what it was actually about.

Oh, and I forgot to post a link to the lyrics to “lit up” and for some reason the edit function didn’t work Lit up lyrics

“More Than Words,” by Poison, I think. It’s a lovely tune, and the singer has a great voice, but the lyrics can realy be summed up as “If you really loved me, you’d swallow after I came in your mouth.”

I have a general divide between enjoyment of the music and the lyrics when it comes to Woven Hand – it’s not, per se, that it’s Christian music, but that it’s so overtly preaching, so singularly concerned that I almost feel like I’m being handed pamphlets in the subway.
But I truly love the music; especiallyTo Make A Ring (YouTube link to a fan-made video with some strange noise in front, better keep your sound down for the first thirty or so seconds) is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I know.
But still, I know I’d listen to it more without the preaching.

I cling to the belief that Mick and the boys were being ironic with “Brown Sugar” and “Under My Thumb”. Great, terrible songs.

“Waiting on the world to change” by Jon Meyer

It isn’t my favorite song or anything, but if it comes on the radio I’ll bop my head along to it. That being said, the lyrics drive me mad:

The rest of the lyrics are here.

The basic message is that Jon Meyer and his friends would like to change the world, but…they can’t. People don’t expect them to do anything great, the news is (gasp!) biased, and “the fight ain’t fair”. Um…what? Is that a valid reason not to do anything about the world? People don’t expect any better of you? Seriously? Why don’t you prove them wrong if you care so much? Why would you let what people think affect you if you actually wanted to do something? It’s not like they’re standing in front of your door brandishing a wet trout to slap you with. Just go and do something! The news is biased. Well, no shit, sherlock. Try and parse the information you get. Read between the lines. Find news sources that aren’t so biased. Yeah, I get it, no one understands you, nothing you do would matter, and life just isn’t fair. Get over it. You are in a position to change the world. You can actually make a difference. Stop being a frigging whiner and stand up for yourself and your world.

The message of this song is lazy, irresponsible, and dangerous. I know, it’s just a song, but it bugs the hell out of me.

I still think he may be being ironic there, and saying “we keep waiting, but it isn’t a good thing.” I’d listen more closely but I don’t like his music, whatever the message is. I’ve seen some Boomers complain bitterly about this song because they, of course, made the world a much better place and these kids today…

I’m pretty sure that’s a reasonable belief to cling to.

And Stauderhorse, I hate John Mayer with the fire of a thousand suns (the phrase “bubblegum tongue” has traumatized me for life), but I’m absolutely certain that song is ironic.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the song, but is it possible he’s trying to pull a “Ten Years After”?

(Although, on reflection, I’m not entriely sure what they’re trying to pull either.)

“More Than Words” is Extreme, not Poison.

Looking at the lyrics, I guess I can see your interpretation, but it never would have occurred to me otherwise.

You could be right about it being ironic, but will the people listening to the song catch that, or just say “See, even Jon Meyer doesn’t think we can do anything important”?

I know the song probably won’t affect anyone’s actions (if you actually want to do something, you aren’t going to let a song stop you). Still, though.

People who like John Mayer should probably be dissuaded from ever attempting anything important. :wink:

Thanks for the correction. All white boys look the same to me. :slight_smile:

As to your complaint, I admit to overstating for comic effect. Will you be happier if I write that the song can be summarized as, “If you love me, you’ll sleep with me” ?

I can definitely see that. Or “If you love me, you’ll let me put it in your ass.”

“Drunk Daddy” by Cherry Poppin’ Daddies is a very upbeat swing tune but if you listen to the lyrics it’s a deeply disturbing song about alcoholism and child abuse. It’s not that I hate the lyrics, just that they are definitely disturbing. But they’re supposed to be.

Or you’ll let my friends and their rott do you. Really, we can do this all day. :smiley:

Not a particular song, but most “metal” songs I love the guitar riffs and the awesome rocking out and yet the lyrical content I just ignore.

Rage against the Machine are a nice illustration of how completely meaningless lyrics can be in the face of awesome rock music. I don’t hate what they’re saying particulary, it’s laughably simplistic left-wing posturing that almost a parody, but DAMN it rocks.

Perfect example is Voice of the Voiceless, one of their best tracks IMO, about the oppression and mis-carriage of justice (in their opinion) of Mumia Abu-Jamal. I don’t know the ins and outs of this story, but appreciate that many Americans would find this to be a deeply crass and objectionable subject for a song.

It still brings the mutha-fucking house down, can’t see how any fan of rock music could truthfully say otherwise.

“Dear Mr. President,” by Pink (Indigo Girls?).

Although I believe that the majority of what she’s talking about in the song is true, I am not happy about that.