Lovecraft adaptations and homages

The Charles Stross *Laundry *books, starting with The Atrocity Archive, are a lot of fun, especially if you work as or near a system administrator for a large institution. The backstory is basically Lovecraftian, even though the tone is much lighter.

Speaking of which … an even better homage along somewhat similar lines is Resume With Monsters.

http://www.amazon.com/Resume-Monsters-William-Browning-Spencer/dp/1565049136

I thought it was hilarious. :smiley:

The most recent novel in the series was decidedly darker, though - and suffered for it, I thought.

Micheal Shea’s The Color Out of Time is written as a sequel to The Colour Out of Space (recall how there was apparently something left behind at the end of the story - it grew). His Nifft the Lean also has a Lovecraftian flavor in many places, and is better written I think.

I’m not familiar with the graphic shorts, just the short story.

King did say it was inspired by Machen’s The Great God Pan, but still, when a story is about other worldly gods trying to break through and has a guy writing things like “CTHUN!” it’s hard to not call it Lovecraftian.

Seemed to me that every monster in the first Hellboy movie was straight out of Lovecraft.

I rather enjoy the Tintin covers by Murray Groat. I would soooo buy any of those.

I’ve heard that people didn’t care for the stop-animation Cthulhu, but I thought it was perfectly in keeping with the era the film was set in, reminiscent of Willis O’Brien. But the shadows glimpsed moving across the structures of R’lyeh were creepier than the figure fully seen (as is often the case in horror movies).

BTW, the same people who made this movie have just finished their adaptation of “A Whisperer in Darkness”–and it’s a talkie, done in the style of a 1930s Universal-type horror film. I’ve been looking forward to this since I first heard about it and can’t wait to see it. There’s a blog at http://www.cthulhulives.org/Whisperer/twid-blog.html. Scroll down a bit for photos and two trailers.

Not an adaptation, but a damn good homage…

In the Dresden Files universe, the “Outsiders” (the ones from beyond the Outer Gates, about which nothing has been explained except that the Senior Council has an official called the Gatekeeper and the Seventh Law of Magic is, “Thou shalt not seek beyond the Outer Gates”) are purest Cthulhomage. I hope we see more of them in future books. (The next one comes out 07/26/11, BTW.)

Those are GREAT! Thanks.

Oh, it’s done? Brilliant! I had a (nameless, creeping…) fear that it might end up in development limbo forever, like so many similar projects seem to…

Years ago I bought an anthology of fiction, poetry, and art called The Starry Wisdom.

Half of the material in the book is Mythos, and half is “inspired by” or sharing the same “visions of cosmic alienation” as the Mythos. Unlike most other Mythos anthologies, this one contains more than just short stories.

It was also published by an alternative / underground press, so the contents are also a little more “counter-culture”.

The material is very hit-or-miss, with half of it again being excellent, and half being total crap. I’d say the book is worth the price of admission for Alan Moore’s story “The Courtyard”, and the graphic novel version of “The Call of Cthulhu” by John Coulthart. Simon Whitechapel’s story “Walpurgusnachtmuzik” was also suitably disturbing.

And here’s the link to the Heavy Metal magazine tribute to H.P. Lovecraft from the thread the OP mentioned:

Let us branch out from the literary arts and the cinematic arts, into the decorative arts:

Cthulhu plush toys!

Somehow, that just seems wrong.

The character of Illyria in Angel, and many other elements of that show, seem to be an homage if not a direct parallel of the Lovecraft mythos.

Welp, I’m now following the HP Lovecraft Historical Society on Facebook, so I’ll know when Whisperer in the Darkness is available on DVD, as well as other eldritch news.

I also finished reading “N.” Damn, that is a cruel story to recommend to someone with OCD tendencies! But really, it was a very good read. I agree it is akin to Lovecraft, even if it wasn’t directly inspired by him.

And I keep meaning to watch the continuation of Marble Hornets, but whenever the opportunity presents itself, I’m alone in the house, and suddenly it doesn’t seem so appealing!

Oh, and thanks to a recent thread here, The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu is in my Netflix queue (qhuehue?).

The primary villains in Grant Morrison’s early comic series Zenith are the Lloigor, generally Lovecraftian beings, whose name is taken from a specific type of creature from the expanded Mythos. Though they resemble the originals vaguely, at best. The first one we’re introduced to is Iok Sotot. (Unfortunately, the series is likely hard to find, as there’s some legal crap keeping the collections from being reprinted, or the last story from being collected.)

Oh, I forgot the animated Ghostbuster Cthulhu episode, “The Collect Call of Cathulhu[sic]”. Mark it under “not great” - for the resolution & for the cultist’s squid hats, especially. But chock-full of Mythos references, so someone did their research.

I recently watched (via Netflix streaming) a schlocky, low-budget, Australian horror movie called Primal that has a Lovecraftian mythos about it. It’s about 6 friends who go camping in the Australian wilderness, and one of them begins to undergo horrifying changes and turns on the others. It’s not high art, but it’s a fun flick if you like low-budget horror.

I suppose The Ruins might be Lovecraft-inspired. I’ve only seen the movie–which was just okay–but I hear the book is pretty good.