Low alcohol homebrew

I saw a recipe for a low alcohol homebrew, well not really a recipe, but an instruction on how to turn a homebrew recipe to a low alcohol recipe. Basically it say before bottling, add the priming sugar, heat the beer to boiling, then let it cool. Once cool add the yeast (again), then bottle.

I tried it, and it tasted different, not bad, actually it was a pretty good drink and seemed ideal for those time where you want a non-sweet drink. But a few later I realized it does still contain a good amount of alcohol.

Did I do it wrong? I boiled it just to the point that it was boiling, and didn’t leave it there (started cooling right away). Would boiling it for a few minutes/hours/days/years make a difference?

Any other ways to get a low alcohol homebrew?

Start by choosing a lower-gravity recipe. Then do a single-infusion mash and mash in at a relatively high temp, like 160F. This temp will keep the enzymes from breaking down as much of the larger sugar chains and will therefore produce less attenuation and less alcohol. You’ll probably have to do a protein rest to avoid haze, too.

Several friends tried to make a light homebrew, just to see if they could. Never saw the point, myself. If I want low alcohol garp, I’ll drink Coors Light.

The best the pro could do was to make a light-gravity mild, then heat it to get rid of the alcohol. He managed to get most of it out without losing all of the flavor. Interesting as an experiment, but so is sticking yourself in the eye with a lit cigarette. Pass. :smiley: