Low energy during workouts. Any remedies that don't involve caffeine?

Basically, my workout have been reduced to one of two things: I can do strength training, or I can do cardio. But I’ll be damned if I can muster up the energy to do both.

I have a nerve condition that makes my hands tremor. For that reason, I tend to avoid all things caffeine.

Any idea how I can get my energy levels up?

Right now I’m considering just drinking a couple of cups of coffee before my workout and just deal with the side effects. But I’m not sure if that’s a wise move. Or hell, I’m not even sure if that would work.

Sleep habits?
Diet?
Most likely, you’re pushing the first workout too hard. Try thinking of it as one workout and pace accordingly.
You can try circuit training.

Do a strength-based group class like BodyPump. You’ll can work on both strength and cardio at the same time. You won’t build bulk like from lifting weights, but you can still build strength through the total body workout with lower weight and high reps. And if you set the weight to be appropriately challenging, it will also be an aerobic workout.

Do strength one day and cardio the next.

Find someone to exercise with. Running, walking, or riding a bike with another person or group will get you moving faster and further.

caffeine doesn’t give you energy, calories do. Your body can’t “burn” caffeine; you need energy from carbohydrates, protein (converted to carbs,) or fat/ketones.

Try V8 juice. It’s full of the vitamins minerals and phytonutrients your body needs. A multi-vitamin isn’t absorbed as easily. It’s a long term solution rather than a quick fix though.

Then what does caffeine do, exactly?

1. You’re not “in shape” yet
  2. You’re not eating enough or the right things. Have a pb/j an hour before you work out.

I am not an expert.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I love me some V8 juice. So I will have to give that a try.

It makes you more alert, but isn’t good for your heart if taken before a workout.

Are you eating and hydrating? If a V8 doesn’t work, have a protein bar and/or some milk before you work out. All the kids like the chocolate milk these days (for the calories, protein and carbs).

I never did cardio and resistance on the same day. I hired a trainer once and she agreed. I just would walk the track for 10 mins before I hit the weight room to warm up. You can also get your heart rate up in the weight room, enough to consider it a nice cardio workout. Keep your legs moving as you rest your muscles between sets.

Now I just swim and consider it both cardio and resistance at once.

This is what I was going to say. Although, I find pb/h (honey) gives a longer-lasting boost with less of a spike. Probably owing to the differences in the sugars.

I stay away from dairy before, but is ok afterward (choc milk).

tbh, I’m not sure I’d mix them up too much. Alternating a bigger session of each would probably be my choice - focus and push it.

Allow me to recommend the low sodium version, which has the added benefit of more potassium.

Also they make carb gummies precisely designed to give your body more fuel to burn in the middle of a workout. They are basically a kind of sugar, quickly absorbed and convertible to energy. They may not be for everyone, but you might want to give them a try to find out if they work for you. They are sold in sporting goods stores and some health food stores I think.

It stimulates the production of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This makes it take less energy/stimulus for your nerves to fire. That’s how it keeps you awake. Making nerves fire easier won’t make tired muscles work better, though. If anything, it might make you feel muscle discomfort more intensely and, as noted above, could cause problems by overstimulating your heart. Caffeine is not a good combo with exercise.

As to the original question:

A light snack about an hour before the workout might help. Protein and carbs, probably no more than 250 calories. Top off your glycogen stores. Drink plenty of water with it–glycogen storage takes water, plus you wanted to be hydrated before you start. It’s better to drink well before the workout, so you have time to absorb it. Sloshing during cardio is unpleasant. (It’s even worse in martial arts where you might get hit/kicked in the gut, BTW.)

During the workout, try to be aware of your breathing. It’s easy to unintentionally hold your breath briefly during moments of peak exertion. If you do that for a while, you’ll make your oxygen deficit worse and tire yourself out faster.

My husband alternates cardio day with strength day. If I were you, I’d try the caffeine first. But also think about alternating days so you don’t get so exhausted.

As a regular thing that’s a lot of sodium.

Actually caffeine in proper doses increases endurance and performance. Remember…proper doses.

Combine cardio and strength in a metabolic conditioning workout?

Hi Grrr! If you provide some additional information, we may be able to offer some advice more specifically tailored towards your needs. For example, what time of day do you work out? A typical person’s energy levels are highest in the late afternoon/early evening, so you could try switching the time of day of your workouts.

What are you eating? How far in advance of your workouts are you getting something to eat, and what is it that you’re eating? If you’re not getting sufficient calories into your system, and giving yourself time to digest the calories (think a couple hours beforehand), that could also be contributing to low energy levels.

Are you on any sort of diet? If you’re depriving yourself of any macronutrients (fats, carbs, or proteins), this could also deplete your energy stores faster.

How long are your workouts? If you’re doing an hour of strength training, and then trying to do an hour of cardio, that could simply be too much work at one go. Shortening your workouts could help this problem.

What sorts of workouts are you doing? Are you doing intervals, or steady cardio? Because intervals will wear you out faster.

Again, all these answers are just guesses based on the limited information provided. If you give us some more detail, we could probably give you more personalized responses.