LSAT Study Question

I’m getting ready to take the LSAT, and need to know if I should spring for the 2002 version of the study guide or is the 2001 from the library good enough. That being said which is better, kaplan or princeton.

1. First of all, if you haven’t taken a class on logic yet, do it! (If you’re still in school, that is.)

2. I worked for Kaplan briefly as an LSAT instuctor, and I honestly think that Princeton Review’s non-course materials are better. (In other words, the books that you buy at the bookstore or get at the library.) That said, if you actually enroll in either course, you get a huge textbook of actual LSAT questions (from actual tests, that is). If you can find one of these monstrously huge books for sale, I’d buy it.

3. Oh yeah–they really don’t make that many changes to the LSAT, so a 2001 book is fine.

4. Good luck! Where are you thinking of applying to school?

Oh yeah, before I forget. If you don’t get a Princeton/Kaplan course manual, the next best thing are the packs of old LSATs that are sold by LSAC, the people who make the test. Go to www.lsac.org and browse their publications. IIRC they sell “Triplepacks” of 3 tests for like $20 apiece. Make sure you get at least one of these if you don’t have other access to “real” test questions.

I’m looking in the D.C. area and am still working out my choices. GMU has a great tech law program, and would probably be my first choice. I’ve been out of school for two years now working as a programmer/analyst, but law has always intrigued me. Thanks for the response!

Law student in DC here!

I think you can download a free test from the LSAC too. I remember doing that before I took the LSAT.

Since you’re looking for opinions, I’ll move this thread to IMHO.

Yikes, you’re only getting to this now? You’re not just getting started prepping for the October 5th LSAT, are you? Hmmm…

Well, in my experience, the best way to prepare for the test is to take as many sample tests as you can get your hands on. Take the first one blind, so you get a “baseline” and you can chart your progress.

The section most people seem to be afraid of is the “games” or “logic problems” section. There are books on such logic problems; Dell publishes several. If you’re worried about that section, get some of the books and practice with those problems.

I did nothing except order one “Triple Pack” from LSAC and do all the tests in it under timed conditions, and I got into Harvard. Do that first, and get an idea of what kind of score you’d get if you walked in blind today. Then you’ll have a better idea of what you need to do from there.