Luciano Pavarotti Dead at 71

I don’t see an online link yet, but BBC Television just announced the death of Luciano Pavarotti, aged 71.

He gave a big concert at Angkor Wat in Cambodia a few years ago. I wish we had gone to see that.

The Sydney Morning Herald is carrying the story of his death: link

Beautiful voice, he will be missed.

Huh. I thought initially it was ten years exact, but it turns out to be ten years plus one day after his colleague and friend, Sir Georg Solti, died (9/5/97).

We’re lucky to have many great Pavarotti performances recorded in good sound.

Even though I know next to nothing about opera and I just recently started listening to clips of him on YouTube, this news brings tears to my eyes, just as his singing did. He’ll be missed.

Thank god it wasn’t the other guy!

DAMMIT!! Another celebrity who is NOT on my list.

And not to malign the dead, but… another celebrity who fathers kids when he’s over 65 and kicks out when they’re in pre-school. Such an irritating thing for vain rich old men to do.

I just watched it again the other night. I can’t help but recall the scene from the Hunt for Red October

A great voice, he will be missed.

There was something similar last year with Kevin Federline singing something about the Pavarotti chasing him (rather than paparazzi, but it gives a more interesting visual).

excerpt “Nessun dorma” from Puccini’s Turandot, Act III, Scene 1:

tenor: “Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
Tramontate, stelle!
All’ alba vincerò!
Vincerò! Vincerò!”

(“Depart, oh night!
Set, you stars!
Set, you stars!
At dawn I shall win!
I shall win! I shall win!”)

la folla: “sole! Vita! Eternità!
Luce del mondo e amore!
Ride e canta
Nel sole l’infinità nostra felicità!
Gloria! Gloria a te!”

(the crowd: “O Sun! Life! Eternity!
Light of the world and love!
Laugh and sing
In the sun of our infinite happiness!
Glory! Glory to you!”)

He will be remembered as the greatest tenor of the Twentieth Century. I would like to hear a vocalist’s opinion as to what his finest recording is.

I love opera. I don’t know a damn thing about opera, mind you, but I love it. The soaring voices, the passion, the emotion…it all reaches me on a visceral level. I literally break down and cry, actually cry, tears running down my face, when listening to opera. It’s just so beautiful.

Godspeed Luciano, and thank you, thank you so very, very much. You have enriched my life.

Hey Zoe!

You’re welcome. I’m crying now, for what we have lost.

At least we still have Paul Potts.

Now I’m crying.

Elephants, yeah!

Crap.

I mean, I’ll admit to preferring Domingo’s voice–smaller range but velvety smooth–but Pavarotti was the face of opera for so many, kind of a gateway drug.

He was a great singer.

If you need me, I’ll be driving around aimlessly listening to “La Boheme.”

::gasp:: those last few moments of Nessun Dorma are a goosebumpyspinetingler at the best of times, but today… :frowning:

I know it’s overplayed, but I honestly love his “Nessun dorma” the most. He does great bel canto stuff, his Boheme is well known, but nobody – and I mean nobody – can beat his rendition of this Turandot aria, imo (even if the role itself is really not his Fach). I prefer Domingo usually, and Heppner has a special place in my heart, but there are a few select songs and arias that Pavarotti really rocks. I love his Neapolitan folk songs, too.

When I heard he died this morning I burst into tears. Thank god I didn’t drive off the road! His death marks the end of an era. The man was iconic.

Of those I’ve heard, I’d go with the Karajan Bohéme. The Bonynge Rigoletto is also very good, but marred in my opinion by Pavarotti attempting a couple of high notes that were neither necessary nor really in his range.