Lying Customers

Rental company employees are idiots. They tried to evict me, after paying my rent. they told me to pay an odd amount (low), I paid it. They gave me an eviction notice. I checked with the bank, the check had cleared. Their excuse? The lease was written out wrong.

I worked tech support/customer “service” for a home grocery delivery company. You’d be surprised how many times I heard the following:
Them:“The meat that you delivered from the supermarket is bad. I want a refund.”
[pull up their order, see that they received $50+ of steak/chicken/seafood]
Me:“We’ll send a truck by tomorrow to pick it up and issue you a credit.”
Them:“I …uhhh…already threw it out.”

Sure you did. And you didn’t receive your 2 cartons of cigarettes. Or your $60 worth of diapers and alcohol.

In keeping with the rental company theme -
After moving out of a campus apartment one time, roommate and I received deposit back with most of it kept by the rental company. We thought we had left the place in excellent shape, so we went to them prepared to demand our full deposit back, but after we just questioned the deduction, they simply gave us the full amount without an argument. We figured they withheld from everybody’s deposit regardless of the situation, thinking that many people wouldn’t bother to question it.

Know what’s worse than your manager overriding your (policy) response to a customer’s stupidity? Having told the customer something a number of times, he demands to see the manager, who comes up and tells him the same thing. Customer accepts the “explanation” with no further problem.

I’ve been accused of lying when i didn’t. I went to a jewlry store to get my class ring fixed. The clerk handed me a receipt and a white claim check. I asked her if i could give $20 toward the balance and she said yes. So i did. When i went in to inquire about it later on, i was told that it was silver and they don’t work with silver. So I said ok…they gave me the ring back. i gave them the white claim check. then i asked for the $20 back and she said i could and asked for the pink slip. I never got a pink slip and told her so (I’m very meticulous about keeping ANYTHING clerks hand just for reasons like this and i never got a pink one).
She looked in their receipt book…it wasn’t recorded. in fact, my name wasn’t even their books or computer that i even came into their store! She said that there was no evidence of anyone getting money from me and in fact, no evidence that i was there at all on that day. I asked , “Then what about the fact that you just handed me my ring back, and I had slips from YOUR place and the dates and transaction are written right here!?” Then she yelled at me and said that they NEVER take pre-payments for fixes EVER! Well, my mom was with me and she threw a holy fit and told then to watch their employees because someone was obviously pocketing money. in fact, on the slip it had the amount it would cost to get it fixed, and it was RIGHT ON THE SLIP that i gave them money. However the weird thing was that it cost $36 to get it fixed (which was witten on the slip), then in the balance the person wrote $14. So, because the clerk wrote the wrong amount in the balance, I was accused of lying.
I finally got to talk to the manager. he was very nice and told me he’d personally look through the records himself to see if something was recorded on the wrong day or something. he did and couldn’t find ANYTHING written down about me! Well, i told him that I wasn’t lying…showed him what i was given…pointed out the balance and the difference. he said he believed me and that he would give me my money back. And he did. He apologized profusely and on my way out i heard him reaming out the workers who yelled at me and he really yelled about keeping proper records. i was so mad!

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

No matter where you work, there are always people who try to get something for nothing.

At my last programming job, I had one client who tried this on a regular basis. We had their system specification written out in a detailed contract, but they were constantly trying to get us to make changes and enhancements to that. Every time we explained that such changes would require more programming time, and thus would raise the price, they either changed their minds or threw a fit.

One time, our contact person from this client called me at my desk and said that they wanted to change the entire front end of their application. I told her that she’d first need to talk to Jim, the systems engineer, and determine the pricing; she responded, “Oh, I already did that. I worked everything out with Jim, and he said to call you and tell you to get started.”

When I then checked with Jim, he said he had, in fact, discussed pricing with this woman. But when he quoted the price of $5000 for the change she wanted, she decided that was too expensive. Her call to me was a blatant lie, which could have ended up costing me my job, in an attempt to save $5000 on a $140,000 job.

Subsequent contracts with that client now include a clause to cover such situations. In Lawyer-ese it says that every time they make false or misleading statements to us, we can charge them an amount of money of our choosing, up to double the originally quoted purchase price. (If only all our clients were stupid enough to sign such contracts…)

I’m not a warlock. I’m a witch with a Y chromosome.

In 1970, my mother and stepfather bought a new car, financed through their credit unions. (His was TRW).
Less than two years later my mother, younger brother, and I moved out on the stepfather–we were sick and tired of his drinking. He kept the car and we didn’t need one.
A few years later Mom got a “telegram” at work: apparently her ex had been fired for drunkenness or being hung over, and she would be stuck with the balance for the car. Hellooooo?? She had divorced him and the divorce was final in December 1973 (California’s divorce laws had recently been liberalized). She went to her lawyer who contacted the creditor–or tried to, anyway; they never answered his letters–and that’s a no-no for lawyers (he contacted the creditors’ legal office). Came the court date. Mom was there, with the lawyer–the other side didn’t bother to show up!! “Judgment for Defendant,” said the judge.
And about a month later the creditors’ lawyers tried to convince the judge to change the ruling. Talk about * chutzpah! * they failed to change it, of course.
The lawyer told me that some creditors try to scare you into an early out-of-court settlement, knowing they don’t stand a chance * in * court!!

Here’s one that floored me when it happened. I was just out of high school and working at Sears Portrait Studio (nightmare!) Some woman came in with her son and an outfit which she changed him into, making a big fuss about his new outfit and how they had to keep it nice for their lunch with Grandpa later. So all through the shoot she’s running over and wiping his drool and whatnot before it lands on his new little suit. Well a few minutes after she leaves one of the associates from the clothing department comes in, slams THE EXACT OUTFIT down on the counter, and says “Did a woman just come in here and have her kid photographed in this?” Can you believe it? She’d bought the outfit, got the kid’s picture taken and then returned it. That really takes some gall! I don’t know what lame sort of story she’d told to get her refund but I’m sure it wasn’t “we just wanted this to wear in pictures!”

Just out of high school, I worked at a Little Ceasar’s. One night this guy comes in and asks for the pizzas for “Wilson” or somesuch. We go nuts trying to find the slip, and then finally “remake” it and I think he got it free.

So like a week later “another” guy comes in and says essentially the same thing. But the asst. mngr. recognizes him and tells him to get lost. He starts raising the roof, and a.m. tells me to call the cops. I go to the phones, out of sight of the customer, and when he thinks I’m dialing, he starts to go into the “Well, I’m leaving, but I’m never coming back here again.” Moron.

I worked as a pharmacists assistant for a while, and boy oh boy did I hear some doozies! Part of my job was answering the phone, and taking orders for refills. We had one lady who would call at least once a week for a refill on her pills. She was on some kind of narcotic, I can’t remember which one right now. Once, she accidentally spilled them into the sink, and they went down the drain. Another time, her dog ate them. I told her I was terribly sorry to hear that the dog ate the whole bottle of them, because he must have overdosed and died. “Yes, he did die” she said, and then she went on to say she was so upset, she needed her pills more than ever. One of my favorites was when she accidentally washed them with the laundry (they fell into the washing machine). One time they were in her purse and she was mugged. The best one was, every single time we actually did fill the prescription, she would call and say we shorted her a few pills. Every single time!!! And, every single time I would tell her that I counted them myself, and I know we sent her the right amount. After a few months of that, she told the pharmacist that she thought I was taking them. It was actually kind of sad, but I can only keep my patience for so long. Of course, we never gave her extra pills, but man, did she try. Then we had this guy that would show up every so often, and try to refill some narcotic cough syrup. We would tell him no every time, and he’d leave, only to return in a few weeks with the same story. I am so glad I decided against becoming a pharmacist. I would probably end up an addict myself, because of these people.
Blue

“I wore an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time…”

And let’s not forget the famous “I gave you a $20” scheme. Like I’m just gonna go “oh, ok” and hand them over change for a $20. I’ve had this happen a couple times while working at different stores; both times I called the manager, who closed down my register and told the customer to wait while we counted it. Of course, they hadn’t given me a $20. And of course, they weren’t around when we went back to tell them that.

Never regret what seemed like a good idea at the time.

Do you know who I feel sorry for? All the east coast hardware stores that are selling thousands of generators now in preparation for Dennis. When Dennis passes by, not only are they going to be stuck with hundreds of returned generators, they’re going to have to listen to the same pathetic excuses repeated throughout the day.

the same will happen after the y2k paranoia passes and nothing of merit happens in Jan.

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

To BlueTwilight: I suggest that if there people try this again you say you have to confirm their prescription refill with the physician, depending on what the law is in your state. In California–as I know because of someone I used to refill prescrptions for (and after a little while I sensed the mother, not the little girl, was taking them), the physician and the pharmacist run the risk of professional discipline, such as suspension or revocation of professional license, and they [i and * the “patient” run the risk of criminal prosecution.
In short, lying will get you only so far–at least in reference to prescription refills, in California anyway.

This one just happened yesterday/today. I work in the circulation department of a public library. Lady comes in yesterday, to check out a book. I tell her she has fines–namely a charge for a lost book. Several months ago she said she’d turned it in, and for 75 days (our policy) we look for it in the library. It never turns up, so we bill her for it. yesterday she keeps swearing up and down “I returned that book!” over and over. Then she asks what book it was (red flag). My supervisor’s talking to her by this time, and he won’t budge. She calls back this morning to talk to my other supervisor. Fine, I put her through. She goes on and on about how she returned it. Then she changes gears and says she tried to pay for the book yesterday (she didn’t) but was told that we don’t accept checks (we always have). She closes the phone call with a tirade on how we actually have the book but are hiding it from her just to torture her. Gimme a f—ing break!