Lynn seems pretty harsh...

You’re a dick.

Thou art God.

But then again, who isn’t?

Nervously raises hand

I’m not.

Umm, yes- I am sorry, Lib- but I have noticed a very “kiss ass” flavour since you came back. It’s not becoming- it’s not you .

Lynn is a good Admin, and does a tough job and does it fairly 99% of the time. I don’t begrudge her the bannings-without-warning of Spamsters, Trolls & Socks.

As you all know, I am basicly 'anti" the banning of just about anyone who has been around for a long time and contributed significantly- even if they “go wonko” and self destruct. I think she should be more forgiving of them. But hey, my opinion don’t count for much.

You’re doing it wrong, then. I smote a couple of ticks this morning, and I feel great in my godliness.

Not trying to be mean here, but it sounds to me like she needs time off. If I were in her shoes, I’d request leave for medical reasons. If I couldn’t get leave, and my problems were long term, I’d resign my admin position.

Oh for chrissake. Ms. Bodoni is a human being. 'Nuff said.

Someone in this thread needs time off.

But it isn’t Lynn.

Which is what they say the Suspended status is for. A good idea. Keeps their (both sides) options open.

Sometimes decisions on this board seem to be “off the cuff.” But, not being privy to insider conversations, how can can we really say that they are? That doesn’t bother me. What does bother me is the after the fact SOP of “no questions allowed about this, I won’t even answer e-mails about it” that we’ve seen many times. Since the don’t be a jerk “rule” is never going to be completely described, I think it would be beneficial for those asking about certain topics to actually get an answer. Like when Jarjar asked about the joke thread that was moved to the Pit and was slapped down for it. I say, answer questions like that. And in the public forums. Then, anyone who has been walking on the edge can take notice of it and change their ways.

That being said, I also think that it’s very easy to get really worked up about things said here. Especially when it looks like a personal attack. People will say, “It’s just a message board!” And they are right. But, it is also a community. The interaction is written word only and often not real time, but it’s still interaction. You get to know people. You figure out that some you like, others you haven’t much in common, and some you want to bury in ant hills with honey on their face. A person’s current mood can make a huge difference in who fits in what catagory.

I don’t think the nature of the MB format is going to make a huge difference in many people’s lives, but in other’s it will. Have I started rambling yet? Some of us spend a lot of time here. Some come to play, some are earnestly serious, most are in between.

While I don’t always agree with Admin or Mods of SDMB, and have been very public about it at times, being on SDMB is worth it. Having created my own MB has modified certain past opinions and positions I held on certain topics (btw, fyi).
As for Lynn personally, believe it or not, I haven’t had much interaction with her. Not enough to feel I know her anyways. So anything I have to say about her is concerning the Admin Position she holds and nothing about her real life, moods, illnesses, personality, whatever…

Modal ontological argument for the existence of penis?

:smiley:

I’m thinking that a penis is definitely an example of a pre-defined necessary existence. I’d hate to look down one morning and see that I’ve been modally castrated.

What works on one message board won’t necessarily work on another. Different MBs have different members, goals, and atmosphere. In our case, we’ve found it necessary to close excessively long threads, threads started by trolls, and threads that grow too heated. We’ve had quite a bit of experience with the posters around here. We started this message board on AOL in either 96 or 97, and some of us have been on the staff about that long.

Warnings are generally posted in the thread where the offense occurred. The reason for this is so that other people can look at the offense and the warning, and take notice. I generally DON’T email warnings, though I have on occasion. EVERY warning, whether it’s posted or emailed, counts. We document warnings in another area, and how many warnings a poster’s had, and for what reason, and how recently, partly determine whether or not a poster gets banned for his or her latest infraction.

Point taken. Thanks for the feedback.

That’s understandable. However, consider this. Suppose I get in a heated argument in a thread, then stomp off in a huff, never to see that thread again. A warning is posted there after I leave. I never see it. If I do that enough times, I might wind up banned and never know why.

I do believe that a “final warning” sent via email is the best thing to do before the ban. Maybe you do this already, maybe not. But if you don’t, please do consider it. At the very least, put up an area where a member can see his/her Warning level.

Thoughts?

Well, if someone is likely to walk away from a thread he posted in and is therefore subscribed to it, there is no guarantee that such a person won’t delete his / her e-mails without reading them.
Posting the warning in the open is good enough; if people refuse to read them, then that’s entirely their problem, imho, ymmv.

If somebody is the type of person to routinely stomp away from threads in a huff, odds are good that not only are they the type of person we don’t really want around here, we’re not going to much give a damn whether they know why they’re being banned. If they don’t honestly don’t know and are curious, they can email a mod and be referred to the relevant threads. They then have the choice all bannees have: stay banned, or repent and petition for reinstatement.

If we’ve been in heated arguments where we might be in danger of crossing the line, it’s our responsibility to follow up and see if we did indeed cross it and get a warning. The mods aren’t our mommies, running around wiping our butts for us. They certainly aren’t obligated to chase us around trying to make sure we know we’ve been warned. We’re grownups; we know when and where we’ve behaved badly.

Putting up an area where people can view warning levels would be a waste of our precious bandwidth. We all already know our warning levels, because we know our posting histories. A lot (most?) of us have never posted anything remotely warning-worthy. Pretty much everyone else is well-aware of any warnings they’ve received. And if they’re not, it’s their own damn fault.

How so? Are the admins above criticism?

Jesus…I’m always one for a bit of nostalgia, but what the fuck is your problem Vladimir…digging up old threads for what?

WELL?

So what exactly are the rules about bumping old threads? I didn’t see anything about that topic in the FAQ.

NO!!! NO MORE ASKEPTIC!!!