Lyrics that tick you off

Blackbird fly / Into the light of the dark black night

Well, which is it, Sir Paul? Is it light, or is it dark? Make up your mind already. As it stands, that makes no sense.

I really liked that lyric actually. I think light is being used metaphorically (the light is a salvation or a hope) and dark black night is more literal, and I like the contrast it creates.

Rihanna:

“Cause I didn’t mean to hurt him, Coulda been somebodies son”

He is at the very least the son of two somebodies :smack:

I got two.

Someone left the cake out in the rain I don’t think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it and I’ll never have that recipe again

I am I said to no one there and no one heard at all not even the chair

:smack:

Mississippi Queen, and you know what I mean.
No, I don’t.

Not so much tick me off as bemuse me, but when Tom Jones sings, “'cause it’s my word she’ll obey!” in She’s A Lady, I’m so glad it’s 2012.

Shal Marshall - Trouble

Well it seems much progress has been made since 2011 then :wink:

The entire song “The Girl is Mine”.

So Michael and Paul are both dating the same girl, and both of them want to be the only one dating her. However, instead of having a discussion with her and letting her know they want an exclusive commitment, they just posture at each other. Hi, your rival is not the one who decides which of you is chosen by the girl in question - the girl is the one who decides. Or, if she refuses to make an exclusive commitment to either one of you, then you need to either 1) accept that it’s going to be non-monogamous or 2) walk away and find a different girl.

Actually, given the exchange below, it sounds like the girl in question is lying to both of them, and they should run not walk away!

Yep. Telling them each what they want to hear, and keeping them both on the hook.

*Remember? Was he there at the time? Were they playing three-in-a-bed?

I think you’re taking it too literally. I don’t know the rest of the song, but to me this line means that she realized that he might have a parent who cared about him and who would be distressed that he was hurt. This wouldn’t apply if, for example, his parents were dead or estranged.

Beefcake pantyhose.

Or is it beefcake panty hoes?

Damn Beck.

“Don’t go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to.” - TLC

The “please” gives the song the tone of a public service announcement. Also, don’t salmon and other fishes have to “chase waterfalls” as part of their life cycles? Dumb, passionless lyrics. Oh, and the CG sucks on the video, too. OK, I’m done.

“Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you
And there won’t be snow in Africa this christmas time
The greatest gift they’ll get this year is life”

So suck it, you poor f*ckers in Kenya - you’re alive, you got yours. We gots Christmas, nyah nah nah nyah nah nah.

Good lord, I hate that song.

Two in the same song:

If I was a sculptor - but then again, no

and

Anyway, the thing is, what I really mean

Hey Elton: next time, try writing the damn song before you sing it.

Nitpick:You mean “Hey Bernie (Taupin).”

A child, a child shivers in the cold.
Let us bring him silver and gold.

Yeah, right. That’s really going to help with the cold.

Mick Jagger’s 68. Why is that something to be proud of?

“You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips” always sounded so accusatory. How does he know unless his eyes are open, too?

<nitpick>Bernie Taupin writes the lyrics, not Elton.</nitpick>

I agree it’s a fine lyric, but don’t see either part as literal. The “dark black night” is the free, independent life – full of unknowns and risks-- but still infinitely better than never following your dreams or making your own choices. Freedom and learning may be painful but are also rewarding and illuminating (“the light”).

Not a bad lyric at all.

“Do It To Me Once More With Feeling”

Throwing out your frown
And just smiling at the sound
And as sleek as a sheik
Spinning round and round
Always take a big bite
It’s such a gorgeous sight
To see you eat in the middle of the night

You can never get enough
Enough of this stuff
It’s Friday, I’m in love

The heck, Robert Smith? What is that line doing in the middle of an otherwise pretty good song?