M0v13s w1+h 133+ +1+l3z

OK, the thread title was my no doubt pathetic attempt at leet writing; I’m well aware that I’m hopelessly square. But being a frequent video store habitue, I’ve noticed several movies with numbers in the titles in the past few years. The first one I recall was Se7en. But then there was Thir13en Ghosts, and Le6ion of the Dead (that’s listed as an alternate title, but it’s on the video case I’ve seen on shelves here). It seems as though I’ve noticed others, but I can’t recall what they were right now.

Other examples? Anyone have anything interesting to say? I don’t really have a point, except “Hey! I’ve noticed several movies with leet-speak in the titles!”

Well, ever since the DVD release, the title of “Seven” has morphed into “Se7en,” in most printed references I’ve seen…

hrh

Thoroughly obnoxious. Inserting the numeral into the title is cutesy, nothing more; it’s almost the same as putting the title in a new font.

You think new fonts are thoroughly obnoxious?

This whole thing definitely predates leet-speak. Remember the Jackson 5ive?

No, I think the representation of a movie title in print material just as it looks on the screen or video box - that is, not in the same font as the surrounding print material - is obnoxious. For example, a movie about medieval times might have a nifty Middle English font, which is fine, but there’s no need whatsoever to refer to the movie in that font anywhere other than the screen or the video box (or other promotional material).

To use your example, Achernar, I don’t see anything wrong with “Jackson 5ive.” However, if the reviews of their concerts constantly referred to the “Jackson 5ive,” it would very quickly become tiresome and annoying. There’s no reason for it other than to be cute.

Oh okay I understand. Yeah, I can see where you’re coming from.

MURD3R 8Y NUM8ERS

Bands do it too, eg 5ive (and the aforementioned Jackson 5ive). I mentally read that as “fiveive” and it pulls me up short when trying to read it.

Likewise the (thankfully short-lived) 2wo Third3. (“Twowo thirdthree”?)

Regarding Se7en, it is not the DVD release that is to blame. I remember seeing it spelt like that at the time of the cinema release in the UK (early 1996, IIRC).

You guys are just 8160+3d against the 31337.

S1m0ne, an unfortunate Al Pacino film from last year is another “good” example.

Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet could have used an ampersand.

And a coherent visual strategy.