MAC OS X install

The little lady’s MacBook’s Hard drive shat the bed, so she had a new one installed by a reputable dealer (Micro Center), who formatted it but did not load the OS. Ms. Bizz installed OS X from the internet, but since then, both Safari and Firefox have been really, really, annoying. Pop-ups galore. Pages opening whenever she moves her mouse, etc…

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions for a non-computer savvy old fart? I did a search but didn’t come up with anything relevant.

Thanks,

Bizzwire

What version of OS X are you trying to install?

You can find step-by-step instructions for installing Mavericks (OS X 10.9.X) here.

Turn off “tap to click” in Trackpad preferences!

I came in to say this. Be aware that there are actually several features affected by turning this feature off (don’t have my MB with me and I can’t remember the specifics). Suffice it to say that I hate tap-to-click, and inevitably open links I didn’t mean to, but I keep the feature on because of associated features.

…and you will need to reinstall AdBlock.

AFAIK, all the secondary features (especially two-finger “right-click”), work just fine if tap-to-click is turned off.

Great stuff, all. Will take your advice. I also had her reinstall Firefox, and turned off a bunch of add-ons, which seemed to help.

Mods, you can close this thread. We’re good here.

You might be right, as I said my MB is at home.

Either way, I believe the explanation in the system preferences explain pretty clearly which features go together.