I attached one with a hamburger wrapper. The splines had stripped out of the receiving arm so I used a metalized Wendy’s wrapper to fill the gaps.
While working on a carburetor (that was still bolted to the car) I had removed 2 metering jets and dropped one of them inside. One was larger than the other was and I managed to drop the smaller one in the larger hole. To retrieve it I cut up an aluminum can, rolled it around a pencil to form a springy tube and then ran it down the hole where it grabbed the jet.
To remove a turbocharger from a junkyard car I had to use a long extension from below with a universal joint. I could barely see it and the socket kept popping off the bolt and also the extension. I duct taped the socket to the universal joint and the extension, and then tied string to it from above and secured it so it wouldn’t fall off the bolt. Got underneath the car and simply operated the socket wrench.
To remove a timing belt on a 4 cylinder I needed to lock the crank in order to turn a bolt. To do this I tied a piece of rope to a large screwdriver and inserted it in the transmission site-hole and then wedged it in the starter gear teeth. I was then able to route the rope around the engine and hold it while I turned the bolt.
When installing some wood fence posts I was using a large 1” steel rod to tamp down the earth but it needed a wider end to work properly. I took a scrap piece of 3”x3” oak, drilled a hole in it, cut a slot in the hole, and used an old hose clamp to draw the split hole tight around the rod.
Probably my best effort was the installation of the roof trusses on the garage I built. To get each one on the garage I had extended the top-board on the walls out 2 feet on each end. By doing this it gave me a solid base for the future overhang. But they also served as the mechanism to move the trusses. By putting a ladder under one of the overhangs I was able to lift up the truss and rest it on one end. This was repeated on the opposite wall so the truss hung upside down on the outside of the building. To get it on the inside I lifted the top of the truss and placed it on the ladder and the flipped it over the wall with a long 2x4. After all the trusses were on the inside I spaced 3 of them together (still hanging upside down) and secured them with 4x8’ sheets of plywood. This became a temporary floor to stand on while I raised the first 3 trusses and gave me a platform to anchor everything until they were secured with diagonal bracing.
My father, who was my mechanical mentor, once rescued me when I got stuck in the mud. I had pulled off the road because it was raining and my Pinto’s lights were shorting because water had gotten into the wiring. He took a bumper jack and jacked the entire front end of the car up. We then pushed it off the jack towards the road. Repeated the process in the back until I was able to gain wheel traction and drive away.
If you can’t tell, I like to tinker.