Machine Gun Vs. Assault Rifle: What's the Difference?

As noted there is a gulf between the traditional definition of Sturmgewahr and “Semi-automatic assault weapong” as legislated in 1994. Curiously federal law considers machine guns and assault weapons to be entirely exclusive of each other. As an example one way to own a machine gun is with a registered drop in auto sear. This is a single part that for certain reasons could be registered as a machine gun in itself up until 1986. The 1934 GCA includes parts needed to make a machine gun as one of the definitions. An auto sear and some other parts can be installed into some semi-automatic weapons converting them into a functional machine gun. A friend owns such a converted submachine gun, that is effectively an H&K MP5K. The auto sear was installed in an SP-89 pistol which is similar to the MP5 except it is semi auto and has no buttstock. As a machine gun it is not subject to the 1994 assault weapons ban or the NFA definition of a short barreled rifle. If he removed the auto sear and did nothing else the weapon would be illegal unless he installed a 16" barrel or removed the buttstock.

You’re right and my apologies too, for the tone of my post as well.

Fenris

Of course, those criteria are, in further point of fact, cosmetic:

…As you well know. Why do you play this cite game? You know as well as the rest of us that the majority of the criteria are purely cosmetic, but you pretend that it’s not true until somebody cites it. That kind of crap may be cute in a courtroom, but not in real life, and not here.

Two of: a folding stock, a bayonet mount, a flash suppressor, and a pistol grip. These are the things that make a magazine-fed semiautomatic rifle illegal. Tell me, which of these actually makes the rifle more deadly. Is it the pistol grip? The flash suppressor? What? Oh, it does list a grenade launcher, which is, I believe, already controlled as ordnance.

But none of the other features affect functionality in any way. They’re cosmetic. All they do is make the gun look scarier.

Johnny, would you care to take it to GD?

Not particularly. You and I have gone round and round on this, and neither of us will convince the other. I think we’ve both said as much as we can on the subject in previous threads, and we’re at loggerheads. Thanks, but I’ll pass.

Hi Rick,
I found your post so well written that i joined the Forum just to tell you how awesome it is.

By the way i’m starting a little Gun/FireArm Blog thing,
So i’m trying to gather as much info as i can on FireArms/Artillery for this.

I know nothing about guns, shot very few times,don’t own a gun and i barely know the basics of guns.
I’ll be joining some lessons soon.

So for the blog may i use your post on the difference between Rifles and Machine Guns?
Thanks

You appear to be confusing the M1 carbine with the M1 rifle.

Moderator Action

This thread was raised by a spammer who has since been disappeared.

Since this thread dates back to 2002 and involves both the legal definitions of an assault rifle as well as the military definitions, it’s probably best to close this.

If anyone wants to discuss the current definition of the term “assault rifle” (or variants thereof) within the current political climate, feel free to start a new thread, in the appropriate forum. You may be able to find newer threads that already exist on this topic, however.

If you want to discuss the factual military definition of assault rifle, again, feel free to start a new thread, though you can probably find an already existing thread that is much newer than this one.

Thread closed.