Mad-Men: 5.03 "Mystery Date" (open spoilers)

That’s some round-about reasoning on Sepinwall’s part, that the dream was okay because it was so ridiculous. He wouldn’t have bought it except for the strangulation?

Maybe so, but I thought it was clumsy and unnecessary. We all know Don’s going to struggle with his basic nature, but that he’ll try to behave – until Megan’s shine wears off. The fact that he was uncomfortable in the elevator was all they needed to show.

I didn’t watch last week’s previews. Did they show Don in bed with Andrea?

What I hate about dream sequences is that dreams are NOTHING like that.

I don’t think Greg left that conversation with quite the same sense of finality that Joan had. He probally think’s that Joan just needs time to cool off and show up back at the apartment. And he still think’s Joan & him have a child together. As for Joan she’s going to go back to work as Mrs Harris, wear the ring, and tell everyone how brave Greg is for volunteering to go back to Vietnam. That buys her a year to before she has to start explaining about the divorce. Roger will probally get the real story before anyone else.

Speaking of divorce; does Joan even have any grounds to divorce Greg in 1966 New York? :dubious: NYS divorce law was even more archaic then than it is now; Joan needs to prove in court that Greg commited a fault that led to the dissolution of the marriage, right? Adultery’s out, so is cruelty. I don’t think abandonment would work either since Greg has away on military duty, and I doubt any judge would considering Greg volunteering to go back to Vietnam as abandoning his wife & child, especially since Greg isn’t leaving Joan without support.

Not really. Plenty of soclialites got married that young, even without being pregnant. I can even buy Pauline being as old as 70 with a combination of good genetics, easy life, hair dye, and a lifetime of sun avoidence.

Yes, I noticed that, too. She’s a bit like Adelaide (Nicky’s mother) in Big Love. Crazy but oddly practical, too.

She probably doesn’t but they also don’t have to officially get divorced. They can just be separated. I don’t see this as being over. Greg is a wannabe macho man. No way he allows anyone to keep him from “his” son. I don’t get why everyone seems to think that the good doctor is gone for good.

Eventually she’ll get rid of him by saying, “You’re supposed to be a doctor. Do the math you idiot. It’s not your kid.” Then they can get divorced with the grounds of adultery.

Does anyone know the name of the actress who played Don’s former fling/hallucinated murder victim?

Madchen Amick!

Thank you. She was very familiar but I could not get her name off the tip of my tongue.

I had to rewind the credits a few times to find her name. I had the same problem of recognizing her, but couldn’t attach the name. She’s a bit different looking from the Twin Peaks days, I suppose. But she’s keeping her looks a little better than the other “hot chicks” from that show have. Sherilyn Fenn was my favorite back then.

Because I read interviews with the actress, I know Joan felt her then-fiance raped her on Don’s carpet that time. As a viewer of the series, I had trouble distinguishing between that scene and the subsequent post-mugging coupling she and Roger shared against a brick wall. Not trying to be an insensitive male here, but can someone spell out the difference for me? At best, it was sloppy storytelling.

She told Greg, “stop.” She told Roger, “don’t stop.”

Um. You can’t tell the difference between ‘stop’ and ‘don’t stop’?

Or the difference between dead-eyed passivity and being a willing participant?

These differences are not even a little bit subtle.

It seems pretty obvious that him volunteering to go back to Vietnam because “they need him” means he is DEFINITELY going to be killed off very soon. Hence, no divorce needed. This might bring up some other issues with Joan, like her collecting Vet funds for loss and attending a military funeral service even though she’s holding Roger’s baby.

Not to sound so anti-Joan, she’s my favorite character right now. She’s independent, a new mom, but she’s really been the mom for all the whiners at SCDP since episode one. That company CAN NOT survive without her.

Speaking of Charles Whitman, he went on his shooting spree a couple of weeks after the Chicago nurse murders, so I suspect that next week’s episode will have that incident figure prominently.

SHe told him “no” multiple times and asked him to stop. She stared blankly away while he had sex with her. With Roger she was engaged and willing.

Wonder if Charles and Dick are related?

Nah, she never should have married him to begin with, and she knew it. We were reminded of this by her reminding him of his being Mr. McRapey. Their whole marriage was bullshit, and she just dropped the facade all at once. Worked fine for me.

Ooooooh, I like it. What if the incident somehow brought scrutiny on the Whitman name? Twist!

You have got to be kidding me. What’s so puzzling about the difference between consensual sex and non-consensual sex?

What is that “even though” supposed to mean? If Greg is killed, Joan will be a military widow and it would be her right, legally and morally and ethically, to collect benefits. Neither party’s sex lives are relevant. If Greg retired from the military, should his benefits be denied if he were to have engaged in extra-marital relations?

And the baby is legally Greg’s. He is the husband of the mother, and he has not contested its paternity. That means that legally, morally, and ethically, the baby would be due whatever benefits a military orphan is due, regardless of the sexual adventures of his parents.

On this show? You have got to be kidding me! Brutal, coercive couplings are the norm on Mad Men, and Joan’s reaction to this one was a lot milder than, say, the au pair’s from (I think) the prior season. If dead-eyed passivity marks Joan as an obvious victim of rape, then Betty is one as well. And if Roger capitalizing on Joan’s post-mugging shock is fine and dandy with you, I think the eye-rolling high-horse attitude on display here is going in the wrong direction.

The lack of clear black and white hats is the essence of this show.