Mad-Men: 5.12 "Commissions & Fees" (open spoilers)

I knew the Jag wouldn’t start, but I expected the alternative to be the elevator shaft. Good misdirect from the writers.

Sansa had to run home to mommy. What a little bitch.

At least Roger is getting his good lines back. I’ll buy you a drink if you wipe the blood off your mouth. (Or something like that.)

I thought it was nice. I don’t want Sally to hate Betty, I want Betty to be a better mom. Megan is fun for acting grown up, having friends who’ll engage in age-inappropriate girl chat and getting to drink coffee with (with eight tablespoons of sugar) but Betty is still “mom”.

It’s funny because Mad Men is the only show I bother making time to watch as it airs. So I’m always torn a little between anticipation of the new episode and resentment that I’m repeatedly looking at the clock after 8pm Central on Sunday and judging what I can do by how much time is left before the show.

Yes, but when they told him about Layne, he was, for once, speechless.

The stupid thing about Lane’s embezzlement is that he didn’t have to do it. Tthe taxes were due because he had to liquidate his portfolio to fund the firm after they lost Lucky Strike. So if he had just explained that instead of stealing the money, Don or Roger or both would have gladly loaned him the money.

It was still pretty funny how confused Betty looked when Sally was hugging her. :wink:

What? Why does going to her mom make her a little bitch?

Wow, that episode. I mean… wow. That was heavy.

A few points:

–I think Lane didn’t ask for a loan because of a mix of pride and feeling owed. He’s apparently been carrying a resentment towards SC & D for a long while. A man with his pride wouldn’t do it. But Don would have definitely given him the money. I think Cooper and Sterling would have as well.

–Don did do the nicest thing. There’s no way he could trust him. Stealing money and forging his signature, that’s a major betrayal.

–I just despise Beatty. She embraces playing the mother role, just to throw it in Meagan’s face? What nut case.

–I dislike Meagan more and more with each episode. I feel like her own frustrations with acting she’s taking out on Don. Her anger about him “not thinking she can make it” is mostly about her own self doubt and little progress so far.

–I guess the seeds are being sowed for Cosgrove to go, or something. He seems fed up. He obviously wasn’t happy about the Joan thing, and building more resentment toward Pete. And he’s made it clear his stepdad was off limits for him and still they made a play. I wonder where that’s all going to lead.

I didn’t notice 'till the encore, but Lane never confessed about the 50K loan, only the $7500 check. As far as any of the other partners know that extra 50K is profit; even if Don covers for Lane re the check they’re still in for a nasty surprise when they audit the books.

That was damned brutal.

Does anybody know what Roger meant when he said Lane’s letter was "boilerplated’?

On a lighter note, though, did anybody else think it was funny that Megan told Sally “And don’t use the juicer” while Jack Lalanne was on TV?

I don’t like Betty, but in fairness to her there are probably lots of mothers of teenagers going through the “I hate you” phase who are shocked to get a hug again.

One more episode. Will Don make it through the entire season without cheating on Megan (to our knowledge)?

It means it was just a standard form letter of resignation. Nothing unique, or specific to why he was resigning. So it gave no indication why he was leaving, or more to their interests, why he killed himself.

Thanks.

Jaguar was peeved after last week’s episode, I imagine that they won’t be happy that the car wouldn’t start tonight. But dammit, their reputation for crap electrical systems was deserved.

I remember being in traffic court one day in the Seventies when a young man was accused of driving 70 in a 35 zone. The boy was well dressed and had a layer who claimed that the violation was unintentional. The explanation was “Your honor, the car in question is a Jaguar, and it simply went temporarily haywire as they often do”.

Perhaps it was the suit and the lawyer, but the Judge made a point of saying that the excuse sounded implausible, however, with a Jaguar it was not impossible. He was let off without a fine.
The Mad Men season is too short and it peaks too late. We’re just getting into the real meat and we’re on the verge of a layoff. My recollection is that the new season used to start in August but with this season’s delays I wonder if they’ve begun filming yet.

So Don is now, what two for two making people hang themselves? Poor Lane. I wonder if they have written Elizabeth Moss out, too? They *do *that–remember Sal, and Duck?

And so far we have seen little Kiernan Shipka masturbate and menstruate–what’s next?

Used to, but probably won’t anymore. My guess is that they won’t be back until March 2013, so they won’t start filming until late this year.

Tonight on AMC, a very special crossover episode of The Walking Mad Men. :smiley:

I laughed when Don told Lane “I can’t trust you- you forged my signature.” A signature which is itself forged, by a man who stole another man’s entire identity.

I really hope Weiner’s son has aspirations to do something- anything- besides acting. He’s terrible.

So Sally ran out of the museum, took a cab or a subway to Grand Central, bought a ticket for the New Haven Metro North train into Connecticut, waited for the train, rode the train, called a cab from the station to Henry’s place, and ran into her mother’s arms? That seems like a pretty poorly fudged timeline.

Poor Lane. When the Jag wouldn’t start I expected him to break down in the car and complain that he can’t even kill himself successfully.

Well, so much for a nail-biting, 5% Joan Harris breaking, deadlock in the next partners meeting.

She took a cab all the way from the city, thus the $25 fare - which would be over $150 in today’s money.

Weiner’s son used to creep me out but in this episode I saw a teenage boy who has problems fitting into the crowd at school, and whose good friend is a girl that lives hours away. He finally portrayed the character as sympathetic and as someone I could understand.

Don Draper is a prick and I hope his life gets even worse. Lane should have asked for a loan from Don or Roger but he didn’t. Don should have given him more than 2 days to sort his mess out and I totally blame Don for Lane’s suicide. Given the look on Don’s face, he seems to blame himself a bit too.

Sort what out? Lane only had to resign and Don gave him a couple of days to think of a graceful exit. Lane didn’t have to pay the money back, Don said he’d cover it. What else is there to deal with other than dealing with the visa issues and finding a new job. He couldn’t have suspected that Lane would be suicidal over it.

It’s not Don’s fault that Lane is stubborn, prideful, and so deeply in love with America that he’d rather end his life than go back to England in disgrace (note the Statue of Liberty behind his back while sitting at his office, and the Mets pennant on the wall when he hung himself).