Madame Chiang Kai-shek (1898–2003)

Madame Chiang Kai-shek, a pivotal player in one of the 20th century’s great epics - the struggle for control of post-imperial China waged between the Nationalists and the Communists during the Japanese invasion and the violent aftermath of World War II - died on Thursday in New York City, the Foreign Ministry of Taiwan reported early Friday. She was 105 years old. Madame Chiang, a dazzling and imperious politician, wielded immense influence in Nationalist China, but she and her husband were eventually forced by the Communist victory into exile in Taiwan, where she presided as the grand dame of Nationalist politics for many years. After Chiang Kai-shek died in 1975, Madame Chiang retreated to New York City, where she lived out her last quarter-century.

Wow. If you picked her in the death pool, would you have to give back five points?

I’d been vaguely aware that she was still alive – this truly marks the end of an era.

Wow. Another one from my grade-ten History of Revolutions class, who I had no idea was still living…

I only knew she was alive because of thread Eve started last year about people you have no idea were alive. I would love to see a picture of her from recent years.

Are you certain she was 105? NPR this morning reported that was ‘in play’ and only described her as ‘at least 105’.

Man, that’s quite a run.

[Here ya go](www.csmonitor.com/durable/ 2000/04/06/p19s3.htm).

Sorry. Try this.

Eat rice, people, eat rice.

That’s a whole chunk of living history gone right there. Seems like she may even have kept all her marbles 'til the end-ish.
Well played, old girl.

Wow, add me to the “she was still alive?” list. 105? Not bad, not bad at all.

Well, she graduated from Wellesley in, I think, 1917, so it’s possible she could have been even a bit older.

According to this site, she was 106.

i guess she could be 105 or 106 depending if you count in chinese or in us. chinese start you at 1 when you are born.

what an amazing life. every now and again something would come along to remind you she was still around and kicking.

her whole family was quite something; her father had all his children well educated, not the norm for daughters at that time chinese or not; i find it interesting that he untied thier minds as well as their feet. i can’t think of another family that matches the sungs. the sisters had quite a powerful effect
on their country, none of them were the “secret” power behind the throne, they were right out in front, totally involved.

simply amazing life. what ever one may think of her, she did things that women, even today, can’t quite match.

So…what’d she die of? Did she flip her 'vette?

Wow, she will be missed.

That’s one hell of an innings.

(I know you were being facetious, L_C - but actually it’s the soybean in the Chinese diet that’s thought to be beneficial to health)