Maid of the Mist (Niagara Falls)

My family is planning a trip to Niagara Falls this July, and one of the things we want to do is the Maid of the Mist boat ride. We are planning to stay on the Canadian side, because that is where most things are. I just read online that Maid of the Mist no longer operates on the Canadian side, but a company called Hornblower Niagara Cruises has taken its place in Canada.

So my question, is Hornblower Niagara Cruises the same thing, just another name? If we book a trip on Hornblower, will it be the same thing as when Maid of the Mist was offering rides from Canada?

And is there easy access on foot from Canada to the US side for the Maid of the Mist?


Looking at the map it appears that Hornblower has a dock on the Canada side just upstream of the Rainbow Bridge. You can walk across the Rainbow Bridge.

Passports are generally needed to cross the Canadian border these days. A walk from the attractions on the Canadian side to the MoftheM is no problem, and the view from the bridge is great. However, why not just use the boats on the Canadian side. I’m no expert, but why would they get rid of the perfectly good boats they had? Probably just a name change.

If you want a relaxing lunch or dinner, the golf course just outside of NF Canada has an excellent clubhouse meal service. Complete change of atmosphere from the hurly burly of the entertainment strip.

The Horn Blower on the Canadian side is the exact same thing as the Maid of the Mist… The route to the falls is the same, the only difference is on the American side they issue blue plastic ponchos and on the Canadian side the issue red plastic ponchos.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure it was going to be the same thing. Thanks.