Maine and the Original 13 Colonies.

Why isn’t Maine considered one of the original 13 U.S. colonies? I looked it up in my dictionary. And according to my dictionary, Maine is considered part of New England. Furthermore, also according to my dictionary, Maine became a state in 1820–rather early on, no? So why isn’t Maine considered part of the original 13?

Thank you in advance to all who reply :slight_smile:

Because prior to 1820, Maine was part of Massachusetts.

Hunh? Maybe I am missing something here, but the original 13 colonies were simply the first 13 colonies that got together and formed the United States:
[ul]
[li]Massachusetts[/li][li]New Hampshire[/li][li]New York[/li][li]Connecticut[/li][li]Rhode Island[/li][li]New Jersey[/li][li]Pennsylvania[/li][li]Maryland[/li][li]Delaware[/li][li]Virginia[/li][li]North Carolina[/li][li]South Carolina[/li][li]Georgia[/li][/ul]

Maine started as the “Department of Maine” within the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and was settled by Europeans in 1604. You could say, then, that Main was part of the original 13, but not as a separate colony or state. For that reason, it is not considered one of the original 13.

Vermont was also not part of the original 13 although Europeans lived there at the time of the American Revolution. Originally part of the French settlement in what is now Quebec, the land was contested between the colony of New Hampshire and the colony of New York. During and after the Revolution, the “Green Mountain Boys” (most famously Ethan Allen) resisted both colonies and established the Republic of Vermont. This became part of the American Union as a state. It can not be said to have ever been part of the original 13, since no colony possessed it prior to the American Revolution.

Both Kentucky and Tennessee were originally part of other states as well, but they are not counted among the “original 13”. Kentucky was originally the western part of Virginia, and Tennessee was originally the western part of North Carolina. They were made states soon after the American Revolution.

Vermont, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee all became states before Maine, so not only is Maine not part of the original 13, it’s a relative latecomer!

Trivia question: which states were added to the United States in the 20th century? (hint: it’s more than two).
More trivia: what was the last state added in the 19th century?

It might be mentioned that West Virginia was also once part of Virginia, splitting off during the Civil War.

Hawaii and Alaska (obviously) also I think Arizona and New Mexico were early 20th C joiners

without looking it up - Oklahoma?

Arizona

I’m guessing OK was added in the 20th century, as I heard they’re celebrating their Centenial this year (the PGA championship is in OK next week).

Maybe Utah? 1890, IIRC.

I was basing my guess on a line from “Oklahoma!” the musical (“and when this territory is a state”) and remembering (now obviously incorrectly) in what year it took place

And most of Alabama, depending on the location, was part of Georgia or Florida until 1819.

When I stayed in New Hampshire for a while an old-timer told me (I’m not sure of the truth value) that traffic between Maine and Massachusetts (when Maine was part of Massachusetts) was almost completely by boat. The two do not connect by land (Maine only borders NH) and NH residents (who had a territorial rivalry with MA) charged such ridiculous tolls for land passage between MA and ME that people used it only if they had to.

Possibly true. One meaning of the term “down east” was that when you sailed from MA to ME, you sailed downwind (the prevailing wind direction) and to the east (or northeast), and that was obviously a common happening. Similarly you spoke of going up to Boston, meaning upwind.

That’s an easy one: Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii.

As for the last one in the 19th century … Utah?