Make your own tv?

I recently read an article which described how to assemble a lcd tv using a monitor and a tuner and have it cost much less than a ready made lcd tv. I don’t remember the details, but here is the basis of a cheap 19 inch lcd Sony tv for under $200.

Can anyone tell me what else I need to do?

Explain how you plan to pay less than $200 when the monitor in your link costs $450?

Assuming ‘Everywhere’ is in the 'states, cheap tuner cards can be had for > 30$. Slap one of those in your PC and you’re about done.

I’m reminded of the old Onion article:

“New $5000 multimedia computer system downloads live TV programs, displays them on screen.”

Well, the difference between an LCD monitor meant for someone sitting right in front of it while using a keyboard, and an LCD television designed for multiple viewing angles and a lot fo fast action can be considerable.

Here at work, they (for some reason) bought us 18" LCD monitors for our PCs. They’re nice, but if you put a DVD in and watch anything with a lot of movement (say, the Matrix, or an FPS), it is noticably ghosted.

LCD TVs will often be much brighter and with a much better response time, and also have a much wider viewing angle.

Well, the difference between an LCD monitor meant for someone sitting right in front of it while using a keyboard, and an LCD television designed for multiple viewing angles and a lot fo fast action can be considerable.

Here at work, they (for some reason) bought us 18" LCD monitors for our PCs. They’re nice, but if you put a DVD in and watch anything with a lot of movement (say, the Matrix, or an FPS), it is noticably ghosted.

LCD TVs will often be much brighter and with a much better response time, and also have a much wider viewing angle.

Wow, that’s one whachek double-post, 4 hours later.,

• This is the reason I still don’t like LCD monitors for general computer use. To get a 17" LCD that has a good a picture as a $100 17" CRT, you still have to spend $300-$400 or more. With CRT’s, the computer ones are a higher quality than the ones used for common televisions. With LCD’s, it seems to be the other way around…
        ~

Sorry. Over here :
Sony 19in LCD $169.99 shipped free - November 30, 2005
Office Depot has the sony SDM-HS95/B 19" LCD Monitor, 16ms response, 500:1 contrast $449.99 - $30 off $150 (Excludes memory, Networking, drives, other items) Coupon (Exp 12/31) - $150 rebate (Exp 1/1/06) - $100 rebate (Exp 12/31) = $169.99 shipped free.

Really good deal on a 19 inch monitor, if nothing else.

Also, this site, Techbargains.com is a great place for deals on all kinds of gear, updated many times a day.

The difference between an LCD monitor meant for a computer and an LCD monitor meant for TV is a different sticker on the plastic housing around the LCD screen.

I’d like to see a cite for that.

You can easily compare response time, brightness, viewing angles, etc for monitors for computers vs televisions. At the time I did it, there was a significant difference.

If it were really that easy to take a 5 dollar piece of tuning electronics and put it on an LCD monitor for a computer and have television, the market wouldn’t be flooded with 800 dollar 15" LCD TVs. Market dynamics and all…

The market is flooded with 300 dollar 15" LCD TVs.