Making brownies tomorrow-- how does this recipe look?

I pulled this from somewhere online. It’s not mine. I think I changed margarine in the original to butter here, and took out nuts, which I don’t like in my brownies. I’m cooking this with a class, and since it’s been awhile since I’ve made brownies (and I don’t think I ever did them by scratch), I wanted to get feedback.

My main concern is with the jelly roll pan-- I don’t remember making brownies in a really thin pan before. Is this going to work? Oh, and is greasing a pan with butter instead of grease ok? I’m getting mixed answers from teh intarnets, and need something a little more definite.

Chewy Brownies recipe

Ingredients:
6 medium eggs, beaten.
3 cups of sugar.
2 ¼ cups of flour.
1 cup of melted butter.
6 tablespoons of cocoa.
2 teaspoons of vanilla.
1 ½ teaspoons of salt.
1 teaspoon of baking powder.

Preparation Instructions:

1. Combine the melted butter, cocoa, and the sugar.
  2. Add the six beaten eggs.
  3. Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder and add to other mixture.
  4. Add the vanilla.
  5. Bake in a greased and floured 18 x 12 inch jelly roll pan at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes.

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

The only thing that has me going :dubious: is the amount of butter in this recipe. Aside from Paula Deen, who seems to ram more butter into her dishes that one would think is actually possible, a whole cup just seems like way too much… you could probably drop to 3/4 cup and still get a damn tasty brownie.

Oh… also, based on the ratio of eggs to flour, the end result will probably be a very soft, fudgy, gooey brownie - hence the jelly roll pan, as the batter won’t set up right in a deeper pan and would burn before it ever got those lovely chewy edges. If what you’ve got in mind is a nice cakey brownie, this recipe definitely ain’t it.

I like this Ultimate Brownie recipe from your favorite chocolate company.

To jazz it up a bit I’ll do some or all of the following:
-dissolve some instant espresso in the water - or use coffee in place of the water
-add chocolate chips
-add nuts
-candy (crushed heath, Rolo candy)

Have fun - brownies are awesome!

It looks kind of what I’d call a Texas Sheet Cake.

You’re missing the most crucial ingredient!! Oh wait, you didn’t say special brownies…

Well, I used 3/4 the amt of butter (150g instead of 200) and they came out ok. 2 out of 3 groups had a fairly chewy consistency. 1 had a cakey consistency. Not sure what they did. I was hoping that they’d be extremely chewy however, because that’s my favorite kind. When you introduce food to a culture, or at least to a subsection of a culture, you hope that it comes out perfectly.

Not usually the case with my cooking abilities, I’m afraid.

Here’s my favorite. It totally merits the name:

It’s the leavening that gives it the cakey texture. In my experience as a baker chewier brownies are ones without baking powder or baking soda.

Ignore those who worry about butter!!!:D:p

You might try the following, it’s what I make for the cafe I work at.

BROWNIES

11-3/4 oz. butter
14 tablespoons cocoa
2-3/8 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups flour
5 eggs
3/4 cups chopped nuts, optional

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat in smoothly. Add flour, cocoa and nuts and blend until well mixed. Spread evenly in 10x13 inch baking pan. Bake about twenty minutes, or until done. Don’t over bake.