Making Meatloaf for the first time

Many years ago I had a neat meatloaf recipe that I have long since lost, but wish I still had: Sweet-and-Sour Meatloaf.

It was on the back of a box of All-Bran Flakes, so obviously that was an ingredient. IIRC it also included some scoops of condensed orange juice, mustard powder, and minced green pepper.

Yesterday I made a meatloaf for the first time without doing any measuring. My loaf is extremely basic- usually onion, hamburger, sauce, egg, and filler. I added a little salsa to the sauce. My lightbulb moment was mixing everything but the filler, and then adding it gradually until I could lift the loaf out of the mixing bowl as a coherent blob, and plop it into the pan. It turned out not bad.

eta: my filler is usually oatmeal, because I love my sis’s meatloaf and oatmeal was in recipe from an ancient children’s cook book. This time I started with a little oatmeal, and then added Stovetop Stuffing until it was the desired consistency. I had once tried nothing but Stovetop, but didn’t care for the results.

I made meatloaf (1-1/2 lb. hamburger), 2 eggs, 1-1/2 C. lightly crushed seasoned croutons, a bit of milk. I topped it with a little each of ketchup and Korean bbq sauce (sweet and hot). It was scrumptious and I am ashamed to admit I polished it off within 24 hours.