Making Sausage

I’ve often heard a quote about how you don’t want to see how laws or sausages are made. I know that some awful back room dealing takes place to make a law, but I have now idea what goes into making a sausage. Just how disgusting is it?

You don’t want to know. Bet you saw that one coming, huh?

Here’s a sanitized account of sausage making, albeit from the biased view of a sausage manufacturer:

Secrets of Sausage-making

TT

“Believe those who seek the truth.
Doubt those who find it.” --Andre Gide

Or, you could try the one I intended to post:

Secrets of Sausage-making

TT

Well, that link looked pretty tame. Anyone know what they were leaving out?

Oh hell, I give up. Take the tour.

TT

Ever read Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle?

Here’s a, shall we say, sensitive version. Meat packers like to say they use every part of the hog but the squeal. Let’s pause and think about that for a minute. They can render the fat into lard, they can turn various parts into by-products, but the fact remains they’re going to have miscellaneous body parts left over. And spices cover up a lot of things.

I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

You guys are making me hungry

You mean that bug I found in my chorizo didn’t come from the factory but from the pig?

I know that I’m in a good resturant when they brag on the menu that the sausage “comes in a genuine intestinal casing”!!

Apparently no one here lives in the Mid Atlantic (Philly, Delaware,Maryland). 'round here we call it “Scrapple” and we eat it fo rbreakfat. YUM!!

Oh, I’m sorry. I thought the thread title was a euphemism for Making A Number Two.

In California, there are sausages made from
duck meat.
What parts of the duck are used, I…don` wanna know.

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

reminds me of when I offered a hot dog to my husband. He said “Yuk! Those are all lips and assholes!” I answered “But they’re turkey hotdogs”. He says “Oh, those are made of beaks and assholes”. Cracked me up.
Actually my italian ex-inlaws used to make homemade sausage and they didn’t use “everything but the squeal”. It was easier to eat when you actually see what’s going in…

I’m very lucky. The only time I was ever up shit creek, I just happened to have a paddle with me.
–George Carlin

“What parts of the duck are used, I…don` wanna know”
—daniel p bostaph

Sorry, Danny-boy, I’m gonna tell ya anyway. They use the breast and thigh, and pork fat.
Duck fat is too strong. Most all good link sausage is made using natural casings, as are the best hot dogs.
There now, not as bad as you thought, huh cutie-pie :slight_smile:

BTW; You work in a photo lab that’s in an airplane??? heh heh
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

Rysdad mentioned chorizo. Have you read the ingredients? Chorizo seems to be more honest by listing lungs and lymph glands and such. Remember that sausages are classified as “variety meats.” The variety is what’s left after what everyone else wants is gone.
What goes on in sausages doesn’t seem any worse than an East Texas breakfast of brains and eggs.

The thing is, sausages taste great, so best not think about it. Frankly, thinking about any meat can make me hesitate, but I enjoy it too much to stop and be anything close to a vegetarian, which considering I don’t eat vegetables would probably mean death.

This is the first time I’m using a sig. Congratulate me.

--------GuanoLad--------

“So what you are telling me, Percy, is that something you have never seen is slightly less blue than something else that you have never seen.”

It may just be me, but it doesn’t bother me at all that sausages (including hot dogs) are made from less commercially desirable cuts of meat/organs. I like the fact that the whole animal gets used for something. I seems really silly to make an arbitrary distinction that cow shoulders and tongues are okay to eat but that lips and lungs somehow aren’t.

variety MEATS ok… I can deal with that… to me that says, “left over bits of muscle and scraps”. To me MEATS do not include ORGANS… I will eat any kind of MEAT (muscle) but I will never knowingly touch an ORGAN (specialized tissue) and dont give me that “muscle is specialized tissue crap” either… you know what Im talking about… :slight_smile:

The wisest man I ever knew taught me something I never forgot. And although I never forgot it, I never quite memorized it either. So what I’m left with is the memory of having learned
something very wise that I can’t quite remember. -George Carlin

The best sausage is homemade sausage. My dad buys it from a farmer he knows and we in turn buy it from him. He uses loins/hams, sage and red pepper, then has it wrapped at a meat proessing plant into neat little bundles.
Has anyone tried any of the commerical ham sausages? We buy the Field and Smithfield brands, and they are excellent. They’re not too spicy or greasy, and they don’t have those nasty chunks of unchewable gristly stuff that pop between your teeth. I’m not a huge fan of meat in general, but I like ham sausage with pancakes for Sunday breakfast.