Making spaghetti sauce

I solved this by freezing it. If I have any leftover, I spoon it out and place it by spoonfuls into a snack-size ziplock bag. Next time I have some left over I put it in the same bag. If enough accumulates, I use the whole baggie. If I just need to thicken a small sauce, one tablespoon is enough.

:smack: Of course. I seem to freeze everything else. Why had it never occurred to me to freeze tomato paste?

One of my favorites that doesn’t take forever:

Olive oil
Canned tomatoes
Tomato paste
diced onion
bacon
Fresh basil
ground pepper

Lightly brown the bacon and drain. Heat oil (or use the bacon fat) in a medium skillet. Add the onions and saute for about five minutes or so, until translucent. Add the tomatoes, some tomato paste, and the bacon. Stir, bring to bubble, reduce heat and cover. Cook for about one hour. Remove cover, serve over pasta. Add chopped fresh basil and a good grind of pepper.

These all sound good. Might as well add my own, which has been my signature sauce for more than 20 years.

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, cubed
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbs EVOO
2 cans tomato paste
2.5 cans water
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp rosemary
Hot sauce to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
Splash of red wine

Brown the onion and beef, brown the garlic in the olive oil, throw everything together, heat, and eat.

All fresh ingredient spaghetti sauce:

Tomatoes, peeled, diced and stewed for about 20 minutes.
Add:
Onion and garlic that has been sauteed in olive oil
Fresh (as in just picked and chopped) oregano.
Add mushrooms, sauteed peppers and whatever veg or meat you want, even carrots.
Avoid “enhancers” such as msg, sugar, yeast extracts. They just cover the taste of less than wonderful veg.

This will make a runny sauce. I have been known to cheat by adding tomato paste or by draining the stewed tomatoes and reducing the liquid (which more time-consuming but tastes better) to get a thicker sauce. Add a touch of fresh-cracked black pepper. OMG is this good. And it tastes like summer sunshine.

Do you de-seed your fresh saucing tomatoes? If you don’t, do, and this will help you with your runniness (and make for a better tasting sauce, IMHO). It’s also why Roma tomatoes are popular for saucing–they’re fleshy and contain minimal seeds and juice.

Known in cooking classes as concasse.

I did not know that. Yay, a new word to add to my culinary vocabulary.

I’ve never deseeded the tomatoes. I will have to give it a try. Thanks pulykamell!

But you have to say it with a snooty nasal French accent. “Are ze tomates kohn-cah-SAY?”

Tubed tomato paste is perfect, but stay away from the “sun-dried” version. That type blows.

A tip I’ve always done is to add just a dash of cinnamon to the sauce. You don’t want your sauce to taste like cinnamon, but it gives it a cozy earthiness that I can’t really describe. A local ristorante does the same thing… but my mom taught it to me years ago.